Missing data or functionality

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Post Reply
Camper
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25

Missing data or functionality

Post by Camper »

Just downloaded application and tried to work on demo version. Several questions appeared instantly:
  • I tried to import data both from Suunto DM4 DB and my Suunto D6i. In both cases DivingLog could not set gas switch in profile, though in DM4 it is visible. Why?
  • There is no SAC graph available for profile view. Will it be ever available?
  • There are no visible marks on the graph (like in DM4) - ceiling errors, deep stops violations, etc. I guess they are in Suunto data, as DM4 shows them. Will they ever be available?
  • When downloaded from DM4 DB, there is info about gases used during dive. But there is no such info when downloaded from computer. Why?
  • There are 3 separate graph panes, and I can only select one graph for each. Won't it be better if there would be just one pane with opportunity to select what graps (one or more) to display on it?
divinglog
Site Admin
Posts: 5223
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 21:02
Location: Coburg
Contact:

Re: Missing data or functionality

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for trying Diving Log!
Camper wrote:I tried to import data both from Suunto DM4 DB and my Suunto D6i. In both cases DivingLog could not set gas switch in profile, though in DM4 it is visible. Why?
Can you send me a SDM 4 DB with a gas switch dive to info (at) divinglog.de? When I'm able to find out how the data is stored, I can import it.
Camper wrote:There is no SAC graph available for profile view. Will it be ever available?
This is planned for a future update, but unfortunately I cannot say when it will be included.
Camper wrote:There are no visible marks on the graph (like in DM4) - ceiling errors, deep stops violations, etc. I guess they are in Suunto data, as DM4 shows them. Will they ever be available?
Some violations are displayed below the secondary profile in the warning lines in red color. Suunto store these events for only a short time frame and thus they are barely visible in Diving Log. I'll see if I can improve that in future.
Camper wrote:When downloaded from DM4 DB, there is info about gases used during dive. But there is no such info when downloaded from computer. Why?
Diving Log is using libdivecomputer for downloading. I have to ask Jef if gas switches and multiple tanks are currently supported.
Camper wrote:There are 3 separate graph panes, and I can only select one graph for each. Won't it be better if there would be just one pane with opportunity to select what graps (one or more) to display on it?
Thank you, that is a good suggestion!

Kind regards,
Sven
Camper
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25

Re: Missing data or functionality

Post by Camper »

Can you send me a SDM 4 DB with a gas switch dive
Sent you an email
Some violations are displayed below the secondary profile in the warning lines in red color. Suunto store these events for only a short time frame and thus they are barely visible in Diving Log. I'll see if I can improve that in future.
This view is not informative. Showing icons on the graph as DM 4 does would be much better.
I don't know what "short timeframe" you are talking about, but I can see them all in DM4. It's not that are so important to me, but sometimes this helps.

Hope to get answers. I am now making a decision whether to buy this app or to create my own :)
divinglog
Site Admin
Posts: 5223
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 21:02
Location: Coburg
Contact:

Re: Missing data or functionality

Post by divinglog »

Thank you for the file, I'll have a look at it!
Camper wrote:This view is not informative. Showing icons on the graph as DM 4 does would be much better.
I don't know what "short timeframe" you are talking about, but I can see them all in DM4
With short timeframe I mean the duration of the warning. Suunto records events, e.g. "ascend speed too fast", but not the how long the violation actually is.

Most other computers record the warnings as long as the violation happens, e.g. if you're ascending too fast for about 10 seconds and the recording interval is 1 second, Diving Log stores 10 ascent violations (one for each sample). Using icons would cause 10 ascent warning icons to be displayed, all very close together. If some other warning happens at the same time, the icons would be all over the same place and you couldn't see some of them. That's why I use the separate warning lines like in the screenshot below where 2 warning icons would overlap each other. But I agree, for Suunto data Icons are actually better.
Profile.jpg
Profile.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 4057 times
Camper
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25

Re: Missing data or functionality

Post by Camper »

did you receive SDM4 db I sent you? any new info on the issue?
divinglog
Site Admin
Posts: 5223
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 21:02
Location: Coburg
Contact:

Re: Missing data or functionality

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for the file, I was able to import the gas switches. Please download this update:

http://www.scuba-divelog.com/dl50/Divelog.zip

Extract that file into the Diving Log program folder (this is not a setup, just unzip it into the Diving Log folder). Then the gas switches should be imported correctly.

Thank you,
Sven
Camper
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25

Re: Missing data or functionality

Post by Camper »

ok, thank you. seems working :)
RogerSelwyn
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 17:18

Re: Missing data or functionality

Post by RogerSelwyn »

divinglog wrote:
Camper wrote:When downloaded from DM4 DB, there is info about gases used during dive. But there is no such info when downloaded from computer. Why?
Diving Log is using libdivecomputer for downloading. I have to ask Jef if gas switches and multiple tanks are currently supported.
I was doing some testing on this the other day when I was checking your code update, and I'm pretty sure that Jef doesn't support it for Suunto at least.

To be honest I can't see a way to reliably get that type of information by direct download into Diving Log either via SuuntoXML (which seems unsupported now) or by libdivecomputer. I'm sure it would work if I downloaded to DM4 then imported, but I'd have to buy a new download cable because DM4 doesn't support third party cables (I really can't see why, do they make that much money from cables!), and it does seem a long winded way of doing it.
Post Reply