Windows 8 Diving Log Metro Bugs

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
AndyDragon

Windows 8 Diving Log Metro Bugs

Post by AndyDragon »

No easy way to import existing DB. Had to export to Skydrive and import, seemed like something that could be a single step.

Statistics page, all the SAC values are missing for me.

Dates in the product when the date is not set show up as 1/1/1...perhaps some other placeholder (--/--/--) when not set?

All the comments were in RTF codes. This is something you should be able to catch (standard stream header) and convert on the fly - or support RTF.

Overall, I like the new layout. One thing that is annoying is the navigation however, I like pivot views/panorama because it's quicker to jump around.
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8 Diving Log Metro Bugs

Post by divinglog »

Hi Andy
AndyDragon wrote:No easy way to import existing DB. Had to export to Skydrive and import, seemed like something that could be a single step.
Please look at this blog post, where I describe the different ways to sync between Diving Log 5.0 and Diving Log Touch. You cannot open Access databases in Metro apps, so you have to convert to SQLite first. But you don't have to go via Skydrive when you're on the same PC. It's actually one click in the Diving Log Touch sync dialog. When you're on different PC's, you have to transfer the file of course (via USB stick or Skydrive or network, etc).
AndyDragon wrote:Statistics page, all the SAC values are missing for me.
Please send me your converted SQLite logbook and I'll have a look at it.
AndyDragon wrote:All the comments were in RTF codes.
This can be setup either in the SQLite export settings. Or just use the Diving Log Touch sync dialog, which will convert the RTF automatically.

Kind regards,
Sven
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

The sync is much better, very cool. There should be something in the manage logbook of Diving Log Touch which highlights this ability, I did not know how to open my older logbook at all until I figured out I need to export first. This sync ability is great, but hidden first time you need to do it.

I sent you the SQLite logbook. Even after the sync, the SAC values were still zero (min/max at dive 0).

RTF removed by sync properly.
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you, I was able to reproduce the SAC problem. The problem does not occur in my own code, there seems to be a problem in the SQLite .NET wrapper I'm using. It just returns no rows when doing the SAC calculation. I'll have to digg a bit deeper to find out what's going on.

I'll create a tutorial page for the sync function, which I'll link in the logbook management pane. Thanks for the feedback!
RVbldr

Post by RVbldr »

I recently put Touch on a Win8 Surface tablet and and did have to hunt around a little to get it to sync. I'd had a Win7 install as well as Win Phone8 install. The Win7 -> WP8 sync is pretty flawless and works great, but the sync of the same data from Skydrive back down to Win8 Touch is not nearly as intuitive. I was abe to import the datafile eventually and everything seemed to sync up OK.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

I'll implement a real Skydrive sync in the next update soon. At the moment, you can use the file open picker in the logbook management pane. When the Skydrive metro app is installed, it integrates into the file open picker and you can open a file directly from Skydrive. Or you can simply copy the exchange file to a USB thumb drive which you plug into the Surface or via normal network share between PC and surface. I've described that a here: https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=1231

But the same Skydrive sync like in Windows Phone will be implemented soon in Diving Log Touch.