Dive Info Merge Question

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
TXreefer

Dive Info Merge Question

Post by TXreefer »

I have downloaded the free PC version to see if I was going to like this software, and it looks great. I have no problem importing dives from my Suunto computer.

I purchased the iPad app becuase I want a paperless solution to logging dives. I want to be able to take my ipad on vacation, enter all the dive information that I would normally log and then when i get home, import the profile and other info from my computer and merge all of this together. I decided to test this process out by creating a fake dive.

First I tried to make the fake log on the ipad and send it to the PC (which already had dive computer logs on it) and it just created another dive (same number) with the info i inputed into the iPad. It didnt merge the dive computer log and the fake log at all.

Then I opened a brand new logbook file. I created the fake log on the ipad. Synced it with the PC software. Then I imported the same dive log from the computer itself. It asked if I wanted to update said dive. I chose yes and it updated, perfectly.

Then I changed the file on the ipad and synced again, the info that was previously downloaded from dive computer was lost, like the profile, etc.

My question is...what are the steps that need to be followed in order to ensure my ipad and pc and dive computer logs all merge successfully?

Also please explain the "Use new Logbook" or "Restore previous logbook" choice after syncing from pc to ipad.

I want this to work and will purchase the full version if it looks as though it will!!!
TXreefer

Re: Dive Info Merge Question

Post by TXreefer »

I think that i have figured it all out and I like the way it works. I am going to purchase the full version.

The thing that has sold me on the whole is the fact that i can log all my dives on my phone/ipad while on vacation (location, buddy, notes, signatures, equipment used, etc) then come back and add the day, time, dive profile, temps, etc. Keeps me from having to carry around a log book.

***Now i need to figure out a way to get my C-cards on my phone, then I wont have to carry the old log book at all!***

***EDIT: Looks as though you all already thought of that too! Great program and great app!! Keep up the great work!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you, I'm glad you figured it out! Here is the description if anyone else has the problem:

- Sync the iPad data back to the PC
- Download/Import the dive computer data and choose "Update existing dives"
- If necessary, complete the dive data on the PC
- Sync the logbook back to the iPad and select "Use new logbook"

Regarding your 2nd question: yes, you can add your certifications in the personal data section and scan images of the cards to Diving Log and sync them to the iPad.

Kind regards,
Sven
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Sven, I think a great feature in the future would be to have the ability to "import" dives from the WP7/iPhone app and add those to the end of the log. So, someone *could* use their iPad as a "dive computer" and log information. Then on the desktop side, import that logged information as a new dive instead of treating them as two sync'd versions of the same dive log...
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Andy

You can do that already. Just add new dives one the phone/tablet and sync back to the desktop. They will be added as new dives. Then merge them with the dive computer data. That's how it works today.