New user questions

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
m_theredhead

New user questions

Post by m_theredhead »

Hello,

I have been looking for software to use on my dives that would make use of my dive computer and my iphone to collect information. The Diving log and respective iphone app looks pretty interesting. I always dive with my wife and would like to make things easier for us both.

Here are the things I am hoping to accomplish

1) Manage multiple users from the iphone app and the software on the desktop
2) Be able to enter dive location, dive conditions, things seen on the dive, etc in the iphone app and sync back to the computer for both divers without having to replicate the data into each dive log. I want to enter it once and have both divers receive it.
3) Use the GPS and app on the iphone to track the physical location
4) Be able to sync the dive information collected on the iphone with the respective dive from the dive computer and merge the data together pretty easily. I have to believe this is part of the software already - could seomeone describe how you align the iphone and dive computer data?

Are all of these things possible with the software?

Thanks,
Michael
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: New user questions

Post by divinglog »

Hi Michael

1) Yes, possible
2) Possible. To transfer identical data to the other logbook you can use the "Diving Log" import function
3) Yes, supported
4) Yes, possible. Sync new dives from the iPhone to the PC, then import your dive computer data, choosing "Update existing dives" option. That will merge the data.

Kind regards,
Sven
uw_photographer

Post by uw_photographer »

Hi Sven,

I have only just noticed the "update exiting dives" option. Am I right in thinking that if I add dives to the iphone app, sync to the PC and then download my dive computer (in my case Suunto Vyper Air), this option will add the data from the dive computer to the existing dives?

In that case a couple of questions (I did look for the answers to these)
1. How accurately do the dive times from the iphone app and from the dive computer have to match? (How does DL know which dive computer dive matches which pre-existing dive in the DL logbook?)
2. Which fields are written? If something is already in a field, will it be over-written?

Thanks
Charles
MeRodent

Post by MeRodent »

Charles, in general only the data that is new or more accurate will be overwritten.

Ie the dive profile data will overwrite the empty fields, it will also correct max depth and time of dive (as the computer is more accurate) so you can leave those fields blank until the dive computer syncs.

As far as how the dives to overwrite are chosen, the sync process asks firstly if you want to merge dives and at the next stage the starting dive number to overwrite.

I've got to say that Sven seems to implement things with great forethought. Probably due to being interested in the process he's writing software for. Wish there were more developers like him.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Charles

MeRodent explained it very well. You select the first dive which should be updated. If you import five dives, you select the first from the iPhone and the next 5 dives will be updated. The date/time does not matter. I do not try to make software too smart, because it does not work mostly. It's better to keep the user in control.

Cheers,
Sven