Diving Log on Chromebook

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
panderings

Diving Log on Chromebook

Post by panderings »

Hi. My Windows laptop just died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Chromebook. But does anyone have any experience using Diving Log on a Windows emulator (like Citrix Receiver) on a Chromebook? I don't want a computer that I can't sync my dive log to.
rene

Re: Diving Log on Chromebook

Post by rene »

Hello,

Citrix Receiver runs the emulated programs on a remote server, no ? I'm not sure you're be able to access serial/usb/IR ports of your chromebook - if only it has ones - from the Citrix cloud.

rené
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

I cannot recommend using a Chromebook for Diving Log. There are many inexpensive Windows notebooks and netbooks available, so a Chromebook makes no sense in my opinion. It's a device where you can only browse the web and use web apps. So for the price it is very limited, much more than an iPad.

Kind regards,
Sven
idpitt

Post by idpitt »

Hi,

I've been using a Chromebook since the early CR48s were given away by Google. I've tried to find a use for it (other than browsing and Google Docs) but failed to be impressed. If you want a light weight notebook that runs Diving Log or any other Windows based program, go with a small Windows machine. As others on this thread have mentioned, you'll need to run Windows somewhere to run Diving Log.

You 'could' access a Windows VM somewhere in the cloud - I've tried this too, but the remote connectivity to the dive computer can be a challenge. There are products that relay USB data to remote machines but I've not found one that works with an IrDA dongle yet.