Suggestion: Naturalist Diving Log Additions

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
lloyd_borrett

Suggestion: Naturalist Diving Log Additions

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Sven,

Have you thought about enabling divers to log details about their experience of the marine life they have encountered during a dive?

Perhaps a species table for having a detailed description and photo(s) of each critter type. Maybe even some form of classification family/group field.

Then a critters table where we get to specify the multiple species plus their size, number/abundance and activity for a given dive. Maybe even a photo field and caption for photographers to add their best photo of the critter as seen on the dive.

The number/abundace field could be a simple classification, e.g. Single, Few, Many, Abundant.

You could even build location maps based on the coordinates of the dive sites at which individual species have been sighted.

This would be a powerful addition to Diving Log.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.
lloyd_borrett

Suggestion: Service Log

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Sven,

Any chance of you adding a Service Log feature to Diving Log?

Enable us to log the service history of each equipment item. vales to record might be:
Service Date, Service Technician (could be self), Service Shop/Location (could link to shops), Service Price, Service Description, whether it's a Warranty Service, whether it's Periodic Maintenance.

lloyd_borrett

Suggestion: Dive Shops / Centres

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Sven,

Any chance you could add a Contact(s) field to the dive shop / centre information?

lloyd_borrett

Suggestion: Logbook Tide Entry

Post by lloyd_borrett »

G'day Sven,

I lot of the diving I do locally is very tide dependent. It would be great to be able to record the Tide conditions/type in the Logbook.

Suggested values could be: Ebb (outbound), Flood (inbound), Slack Flood, Slack Ebb.

divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion: Naturalist Diving Log Additions

Post by divinglog »

Hello Lloyd

I've merged your suggestions threads so I don't have to respond to every single one. Thank you for your many suggestions! I cannot promise that everything will be added, but I will discuss that with Greg from the iPhone Dive Log and Rob from Android before the next DB update. We have to carefully decide every change and every new field or table for the database, as it means a lot of work across many different projects and developers.

I don't want to transform Diving Log into bloatware like some CD burning suites or Paint Shop Pro. Each field, table and feature has to make sense for the majority of the users. And I will stick with the core purpose of this application - a logbook software. Thus said, a fish/species table is very likely to be added.

Kind regards,
Sven
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

Any updates on this?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Which features do you mean specifically? Critters (fish, species and other sightings) are planned within the next few month.