Stopped Working / Hit Breakpoint on Win7 x64

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
dzeleznik

Stopped Working / Hit Breakpoint on Win7 x64

Post by dzeleznik »

Hi,

I purchased Diving Log 5.0.2 a couple of months ago and installed and was running it fine on Win7 x64. It has been several weeks since I last used it and tried using it over the weekend when I encountered the following problems:
  • Diving Log launches fine, but my default logbook is not loaded by default.
  • I open my logbook mdb from the File menu and Win7 pops up an error dialog that Diving Log 5.0 "has encountered a user-defined breakpoint" and has stopped working. Win7 then tries its usual "attempting to find solution for the problem" routine and shuts Diving Log down.
  • If I create a new logbook mdb from the File menu, the empty database is created on disk and then the same error immediately occurs when Diving Log attempts to open the new logbook.
  • I have deinstalled and reinstalled Diving Log, same problem, no resolution.
  • I have opened the mdb's in MS Access and they seem fine as far as I can tell.
  • I have an old WinXP machine on which I temporarily installed Diving Log. On this machine I was able to successfully load my original logbook and the empty test logbooks. So, I think this shows that the databases are okay and some type of corruption is not causing the problem.
Any clues or help on resolving this situation would be much appreciated. Thanks,

DaveZ
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Stopped Working / Hit Breakpoint on Win7 x64

Post by divinglog »

Hi DaveZ

I've Googled the error message and found some sites, but no real solution. I can say that Diving Log is compiled in release mode and there are no breakpoints, so the obvious reasons are not the case here. As Diving Log launches fine, the .NET Framework should be also OK, but maybe the data access component is damaged. I'm a bit clueless at the moment, because I never heard of that problem before. Here are a few things you can try:
  • Try to run Diving Log as administrator (right click the shortcut on your desktop)
  • Try to run it in compatibility mode (right click on shortcut > properties)
  • You can email me your logbook file and I try it on my Win7 x64 machine to see if there are any problems (I don't think so)
  • Try to launch the DivinglogViewer.exe file from the Diving Log program folder, to see if it starts and opens your logbook file
  • Make sure no security suite is blocking Diving Log for some reason
Kind regards,
Sven
dzeleznik

Post by dzeleznik »

Hi Sven,

Thanks for your response and suggestions. I tested and running as admin or in WinXP compatibility mode does not solve the problem, neither does disabling my Norton Antivirus. Also, Diving Log Viewer crashes with the exact same error immediately upon attempting to launch it, no window even has a chance to display. My search also pointed out possible problems with my .NET framework, so I did the following, again with no success in resolving the problem: I tried all of these and I am still getting the user-defined breakpoint error. Which version of .NET does Diving Log use? Also, does Diving Log use the Visual C++ redistributable libraries? The reason I ask is that I see in my control panel that I have both Visual C++ 2005 and 2008, x86 and x64 libraries installed. I have not tried to reinstall these yet to see if they are somehow corrupted and causing the problem.

Finally, I discovered quite by accident that Win7 creates .wer (Windows Error Reporting) files whenever an application crashes. I have attached three in case these can help you analyze where the problem occured. FYI, that I found this little utility that can read the WER files: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

One other point worth mentioning is that I now remember that installed Win7 SP1 between the last time that Diving Log worked and now. Maybe this is significant, maybe not. I really do not think it is the mdb files themselves since I can open them in MS Access and also on another computer.

Thanks,

Dave
Attachments
ReportArchive.zip
WER Crash Reports
(9.37 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Dave

When I look at the WER files, I can see that indeed the data access component of the .NET Framework is causing the crash:

Code: Select all

Sig[3].Name=Fault Module Name
Sig[3].Value=System.Data.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fault Module Version
Sig[4].Value=2.0.50727.4927
Diving Log is using the .NET Framework 2.0, but it probably won't install on Windows 7, because it is pre-installed. I've also installed Win7 SP1 in the meantime, so it is probably not causing the problem, but who knows.

I've uploaded the System.Data.dll files from my Windows 7 installation, so you can download the files and copy them into your .NET folder. The zip file contains both files x86 (which is used by Diving Log, because it is running as x86 app, not 64bit) and the x64. The zip file contains the full path, so you know the correct location of each file:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727
Try to use the files from my computer to see if it works. I can see also these references in the WER files, so they are maybe also relevant:

C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\System.Data\1e85062785e286cd9eae9c26d2c61f73\System.Data.ni.dll
C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\System.Data\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.dll
Kind regards,
Sven
dzeleznik

Post by dzeleznik »

Hi Sven,

Sorry for the long delay, but work unfortunately takes priority :? My investigation showed what looked like a botched update of .NET at some point on my computer. There were lots of *_1.exe and *_1.dll files in my .NET directories. These are all owned by "TrustedInstaller", which implies that they are intended to be cleaned up after an installation successfully completes, but this never happened. It takes quite a bit of monkeying to take ownership of TrustedInstaller files and delete them. For the same reason, is not a simple copy-paste to replace my dlls with the ones you gave me. In the end, I did not have the time or want to put in the effort. The good news is that yesterday there were a series of automatic updates for Visual C++ and .NET runtimes that seem to have solved the problem! I noticed that the updates being installed were related to various MS runtimes, so I decided to retry Diving Log and voila! it's working again :D

So, thanks for your prompt attention and help. Indeed the problem was some messed up system configuration on my side.

Dave
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Dave

Thank you, I'm glad the recent Windows update fixed that problem! :)

Cheers,
Sven