Com Ports in Windows 7

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Gasman

Com Ports in Windows 7

Post by Gasman »

Hi,

Just downloaded this app as my old app that I used to use no longer works with Windows 7 and is unlikely to any time soon.
I see that DL tries to use COM3, whilst my USB to Serial lead is set by Win7 to COM4.

I could not see anyway to change the port in DL, so changed it in WIN7 to COM3. WIN7 warned me that this port was being used (DL was oprn), but I went ahead anyway. Then I was able to connect.

Now when I try it tells me access denied to COM3. I tried changing to another port, WIN7 states that it is in use (in fact it seems to say that about all of them?), but I still get access denied to the port.?

Any assistance would be appreciated. The interface looks great, and if I can get it reliably working, I'll be buying it.

BTW the Aladin is an Air X Nitrox

TIA

Edit
Just tried COM9, DL accepts that, but I get downloading, the data appears to transfer, then I get 'Waiting to transfer' again.???
TnT

Re: Com Ports in Windows 7

Post by TnT »

Which downloader are you using? The Uwatec Aladin (with the uwatec logo) or the Universal Downloader (with the blue arrow)? With both downloaders there is a combobox where you can select the correct COM port.

If you rename COM ports, you have to reboot before it takes effect. At least that's how it works on Windows XP, but I assume the newer versions are the same.

If you still can't download, please follow the instructions in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1296
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

When it says "Waiting for transfer" you must enter on your Aladin the logbook mode to start the transfer. Then the progressbar should start moving. Please let me know if you have still problems.

Kind regards,
Sven
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

Thank you for the reply.

I know that I need to enter logbook mode to transfer, that is how Wlog works.
However when I enter logbook mode the data downloads as described by the green bar, then immediately goes back to 'Waiting for Transfer'.

I have just managed to get a transfer on the 4th attempt. DL reports the computer as an Aladin Air X Nitrox, but it is actually an Air Z Nitrox. Could that be the problem.

divinglog wrote:Hi

When it says "Waiting for transfer" you must enter on your Aladin the logbook mode to start the transfer. Then the progressbar should start moving. Please let me know if you have still problems.

Kind regards,
Sven
Gasman

Post by Gasman »

Thank you for the reply.

I was using the Uwatec Aladin downloader.

I had a look at the other one, but sure how to use that.
I tried switching on the Aladin and pressing the Download button as instructed, but got 'Transfer interrupted' each time.
Tried entering logbook mode and then the button with no change.

I will check out that link you posted.

Thank you.

TnT wrote:Which downloader are you using? The Uwatec Aladin (with the uwatec logo) or the Universal Downloader (with the blue arrow)? With both downloaders there is a combobox where you can select the correct COM port.

If you rename COM ports, you have to reboot before it takes effect. At least that's how it works on Windows XP, but I assume the newer versions are the same.

If you still can't download, please follow the instructions in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1296
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Air X and Air Z are basically the same computer and cannot be differed from the computer side. You can switch between "X" and "Z" model in the downloader settings, but this just renames the dive computer name in the logbook, so you don't have to change it manually. Try to switch the download engine in the Aladin Downloader settings from "Divinglog" to "Libdivecomputer" to see if this works better. The "Aladin Downloader" is the recommended one for Aladins.