Some problems in the uddf export

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Shadock

Some problems in the uddf export

Post by Shadock »

Hi again,

I've tested also some first uddf export, and found one or two problems:

1) (already emailed, but since i've found another, it's perhaps better to share the list)
when you don't have samples data (for some old dives, i did not synchronise my airX with the memo mouse and lost some dive infos), the export does not show any info about the dive duration. I think It should have <diveduration> (see http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf30gamma/en/ch09s90.html) at least in this case.
Perhaps in general, it could be a good idea to always add this tag, even if we have <samples>, don't know.

2) even when the gaz used is nitrox, it's exported as 'air':
- in the beggining of the export, only air is defined in <gasdefinitions>:

Code: Select all

<gasdefinitions>
    <mix id="air">
      <name>air</name>
      <o2>0.210</o2>
      <n2>0.790</n2>
      <he>0.000</he>
      <ar>0.000</ar>
      <h2>0.000</h2>
    </mix>
  </gasdefinitions>
and when i've a dive with nitrox, the mix exported is 'air':

Code: Select all

<samples>
          <waypoint>
            <depth>2.02</depth>
            <divetime>0</divetime>
            <temperature>300.8</temperature>
            <switchmix ref="air" />
          </waypoint>
(...)
and yes, it's really stored as nitrox in dive logs : additionnal tab, gaz mix details : O2 = 32%

It's only a small first test, I need to store more infos in divelogs to test the others infos exported.

Regards,
Tom.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Some problems in the uddf export

Post by divinglog »

Hi Tom

Currently the UDDF export writes always air as gas, because there is not yet a real gas management in Diving Log included. So I've decided to leave this until I've added the tank management feature first and update the UDDF export afterwards.

Kind regards,
Sven
Shadock

Post by Shadock »

Thanks.

I'm still in the process of migrating all my datas into diving logs (link the buddies, fill the sites infos, etc..), but afterward i'll post here a (i hope)full review of the uddf export, with all the missing things i'll find.

Tom
gjc999

Post by gjc999 »

I think I have another UDCF bug. Exports from a DL5.0 install that have the preferences set to Imperial Units still export the <UNITS>metric</UNITS> tag, rather than the <UNITS>Imperial</UNITS> tag. Easy enough to fix by hand after an export, but I figured I'd mention it. Also, I only seem to be able to export 32 dives at any one time. no mater how many I have selected in the export dialog box.
Last edited by gjc999 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
gjc999

Post by gjc999 »

Also, It would be great if the exporter allowed you to choose what dive computer to use in the <DEVICE> element of the UDCF. It could gather that list from the equipment list, or allow it to be defined at export time.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I'll take a look at the UDDF export.
gjc999

Post by gjc999 »

If you are going to be in the UDDF area already, could you take a look at implementing the <notes> element http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v220en/ch09s211.html, or some support for it? I'd like to be able to export comments from DL5.0 UDDF if possible. I know the <notes> tag has lots of extras, but I think the ability to get comments out into the export would be useful.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Shadock wrote:I think It should have <diveduration> (see http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf30gamma/en/ch09s90.html) at least in this case.
The diveduration tag was introduced with UDDF 3.0, but I'm currently exporting only UDDF 2.2.0. The tag is also in version 2.2.0 available, but it has a different meaning and it does not mean the dive time in version 2.2.0. I will support UDDF 3.0 when it is final in future.
gjc999 wrote:If you are going to be in the UDDF area already, could you take a look at implementing the <notes> element http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v220en/ch09s211.html, or some support for it?
It looks like the notes tag is available for a lot of parent tags, but not for a particular dive.
Parent Elements
<body>, <boots>, <buddy>, <buoyancycontroldevice>, <camera>, <cave>, <compass>, <compressor>, <divebase>, <divecomputer>, <fins>, <flash>, <generator>, <gloves>, <housing>, <knife>, <indoor>, <insurance>, <lead>, <lake>, <lens>, <light>, <mask>, <mix>, <observations>, <operator>, <owner>, <permit>, <rebreather>, <regulator>, <river>, <scooter>, <shop>, <shore>, <site>, <suit>, <tank>, <trip>, <variouspieces>, <vessel>, <videocamera>, <watch>, <wreck>
<dive> is not a in the list, so I don't think I can add it here. I don't understand why it is missing, but it seems to be the same even in UDDF 3.0
gjc999 wrote:I think I have another UDCF bug. Exports from a DL5.0 install that have the preferences set to Imperial Units still export the <UNITS>metric</UNITS> tag, rather than the <UNITS>Imperial</UNITS> tag.
In UDCF export there was a bug which mixed up metric and imperial units. I've fixed that and now UDCF will export always metric. For the December update I can add a setting to export to imperial, independet from the current Diving Log settings.
gjc999

Post by gjc999 »

It seemed wrong that <notes> was not a child of <dive>. I thought I'd look at the page that describes the <dive> element for UDDF_2.2. It claims on that page that the <notes> element is a child element. I think the two sections somehow don't agree with each other. :(

Dive Element for UDDF 2.2: http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v220en/ch09s79.html
Notes Element for same: http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v220en/ch09s211.html

<Notes> does not list <dive> as a parent, but <parent> lists <notes> as a child. The same is true in the 3.0 Spec. I think we found a bug. :)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You are right, it seems to be a bug in the documentation, I've already contacted the authors. I will add the notes tag to the update (version 5.0.1) tomorrow.
gjc999

Post by gjc999 »

Great! 5.0.1 adds some new features to UDDF export. This is a good step I think. I do see one issue however. <airtemperature> and <lowesttemperature> (both children of <dive>) are correctly showing a converted Fahrenheit temperature in degrees Kelvin. In my example, the air temp was 88F, and is being shown as 300.9(K) in those elements. Fantastic. The issue is in the <temperature> elements in the <waypoint> elements for dive sample data. Those temperatures look like a Fahrenheit value is being read as a Celsius value, and then that number is being used to convert to Kelvin.

For example, one <temperature> sample says 361.1(K). That would be about 87C, but the source temp is actually 87F. This makes my dive temps in Fahrenheit in my other tools look like I was diving in 188 Degree F water! Hot stuff! :D

Other than that this is working great so far! Thanks for the update!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thanks, there was indeed still a bug. Download this zip file and extract it into the Diving Log program folder, then the temperature profile should be fine.