Test Version of Suunto downloader ready all you D model user

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
James Connell

Test Version of Suunto downloader ready all you D model user

Post by James Connell »

Well I think I've got some things working enough to produce a pre alpha test program. It doesn't do everything yet and it certainly won't work with Divelog 4.0.8. It should connect to your D model (and any other Suunto after the stinger/vyper), download the 'settings' data and write out a XML file. It won't read the profiles yet - I just want to make sure I have the comm routines working.

I Really need testers for this - I Don't own a 'D' model !!!!
get the program from my site - @ 'suunto tools'
you should run this from the command line.

unzip it to a folder ( I recommend C:\ ),
Than from the start button menu select "Run".
in the edit that pops up enter
C:\suuntoxmldownloader.exe -port="Com3"
( or what ever comm port you need).

When the prgram exits a file should appear in c:\ named
' DCMLTest.xml '

Please email this file back to me ( if one is generated ) with a description of how things went.

THANK YOU in advance.
Last edited by James Connell on Fri Jul 20, 2007 05:54, edited 2 times in total.
JConn Inv.
Software Tools for Suunto Dive Computers
http://LiquidImagePhoto.com
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi James

Great! I just wrote some emails to users who asked in the last few month for D9 / D6 support.

Are you sure the that the command line is "-port="Comm3" and not "-port="COM3", because in the 2.0 downloader it is COM and not Comm.

Sven
dsuk

Testing results

Post by dsuk »

System spec and computer details:
Core 2 Duo 6300 @ 1.86GHz
2GB RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2 and all hotfixes to 16/7/2007

Suunto computer: D9 Serial starts 55000*** and has NOT had the Suunto time fix applied as detailed at http://www.canarydivers.com/baseweb/new ... _Jun06.pdf (just in case that makes a difference).

Testing results:
Downloaded the zip file to c:\temp
Extracted to c:\
started dos prompt and changed prompt content to c:\>
Executed suuntoxmldownloader.exe -port="Comm3" - a box flashed up really quickly and then went away
Executed suuntoxmldownloader.exe -port="Com3" - a connection dialog appeared and counted down from 100% to 0% and then stated that the interface could not be found.

Opened Suunto Dive Manager to confirm connection - my computer does use COM3 and was accesible via SDM 2.5.0.165
Closed SDM
Executed suuntoxmldownloader.exe -port="Com3" again but no interface was found and no file created in c:\

Please let me know if you need any further tests performing.
James Connell

Post by James Connell »

You are, of course, right Sven. The correct way is -port="COMx".

New version on the site - Please retest it. I had to rebuild the D communications routines from memory and I'm not 100% sure I had them correct - now I'm 100% NOT :(

What happened is this: Just after I had decoded the communications protocols and most of the data structure, My computer crashed. I had borrowed a D9 from a ( very nice ) person to do the tests. I had saved all the data in the computer so that I could but it back just as I received it but the person wanted their D9 back before I could rebuild all the programs - they were a little miffed at me for giving them back a computer with all the dives but the 2 test dives I made with it erased :oops: needless to say I'm having a little trouble borrowing it again!
JConn Inv.
dsuk

no joy yet

Post by dsuk »

Have downloaded the latest version timestamped at 07:47 this morning and tried with the following results:

Unzipped to c:\ and ran the suuntoxmldownloader.exe -port="Com3"

The program starts OK and sat at 62% searching for interface for 3 mins. I then cancelled it using the cancel button. Restarted and it very quickly dropped to 50% searching for interface. Again, 3 minutes later cancelled it and restarted, this time is very quickly dropped to 30+ % then decreased to 25%, 12% and 0% and stated that the Interface not detected.

I then restarted it. It ran very quickly to 50% searching for interface and then appeared to stop again.

I checked with SDM and that still recognises the D9 with its full logs.

I then closed SDM and started your XML program again and it started at 71% and hung again. After 3 minutes I cancelled it again.

I have noticed that all the time that the program is running, one of the 2 cores in my Core 2 Duo PC was sat at 50%. No output file was created in c:\
Do you have a debug version that you want me to try so that you can see what's it's doing?

Good luck with resolving it.
dsuk

Posting dives to a D9

Post by dsuk »

James,
You seem to imply in your previous posts that it is possible to export the dive logs from a D9 and then 'put it back'. Is that utility available now?

Cheers,
Dave
James Connell

Re: Posting dives to a D9

Post by James Connell »

dsuk wrote:James,
You seem to imply in your previous posts that it is possible to export the dive logs from a D9 and then 'put it back'. Is that utility available now?

Cheers,
Dave
Well, Yes, um, sort of :?

The source code for the program that does it is intact, I think :?:
But without the communications routines that are not working at this time, it's useless. As soon as a D model successfully connects to the Downloader then I can build the other program.

I should mention it only works with the raw data, it won't take a (for example) SDM file and import it into the Ds.

<Edit about 1 hour later>

The good news - I just talked to my LDS ( the same one that loaned the D9 last time) He says I can use his new one! Bad news is I can't pick it up till tomorrow.
</Edit>
JConn Inv.
James Connell

FIX IS IN

Post by James Connell »

Those of you who are doing the testing - I got the com routines working.
Give the program a try. Again, it's not complete - no profiles are generated, But I need to know if it works on more than one D9.
JConn Inv.
James Connell

I NEED TESTERS

Post by James Connell »

Hi All you Suunto D model users.

I need testers. But I really need profiles!!
can one of you please bend your D ?? I need to see what the data looks like for violations. I also need data containing multiple gas use, switch between gases a couple of times in a dive.

See my site for a program to record the data in to a file. Please use that but also include a file containing the SDM download as well if you would???
JConn Inv.
mhedstrom

Post by mhedstrom »

James, is this something that will work for the Cobra 2? If so then I'll be happy to test it.
James Connell

Post by James Connell »

mhedstrom wrote:James, is this something that will work for the Cobra 2? If so then I'll be happy to test it.
Go ahead and test it, please. I would like to know if it works as is.
Otherwise hang in there, I took the D9 I'd borrowed back to the LDS tonight. I wanted to borrow the Cobra2 they have but the owner wasn't in and I couldn't get it.
JConn Inv.