Question about diving computer and divinglog 6.0

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
remyvandemortel

Question about diving computer and divinglog 6.0

Post by remyvandemortel »

another question i have is about my dive computer.

I have recently bought the Mares Smart Air and did a couple of dives in egypt with it the last holiday.

Now i want to connect my dive computer with the program but it can't read the dives. Is there a way to get the dives out of my dive computer into the program? or is the Mares Smart air just not supported at this time? i know the normal Smart is supported.

THNX for your answers!

gr.

Remy
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Question about diving computer and divinglog 6.0

Post by divinglog »

I think the Smart Air has not been tested yet, but I have to check the latest libdivecomputer version. In the meantime you can download the dives with Mares Dive Organizer and import the dives from there into Diving Log. You can send me the Dive Organizer logbook file and I'll ensure the data imports correctly for this model.
TnT

Post by TnT »

No, the Mares Smart Air is not supported yet. To add support for it, you'll need to send me a memory dump of your dive computer. The procedure is explained here: https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?page_id=1879
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
remyvandemortel

hello thnx for the answers

The problem is that even using the mares software, that their own software states that the device is not supported.

I opened a ticket at their website one week ago but still don't have an answer from Mares. Isaid to them that i think it's strange that the dive computer isn't supported by their own software. That while in the manual it says that it is.

so still waiting for their reaction.

THNX for the answers

gr.

Remy
remyvandemortel

hereby the zip file and the error file.

I set the downloader on Mares as a brand and Smart as a model. but as said before i have the smart AIR.

Also on the mares software it says not that the smart AIR is supported.

Hope you can do something with the zip file and error log.

THNX

gr.
Remy
Attachments
error file.txt
(392 Bytes) Downloaded 774 times
Downloader.zip
(58.38 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
TnT

Post by TnT »

Thanks for the data! I think I have figured out how the data is stored.

I already have a build available for testing. Download the updated libdivecomputer dll. Close divinglog and copy the dll into the divinglog installation directory (backup the existing dll). Start divinglog and try to download your dives (*). The Mares Smart Air should be listed now. When the download is finished, carefully inspect all your dives for possible errors, and report back.

(*) Errors are still possible at this stage. To avoid messing up your actual logbook, I recommend creating a new temporary logbook for this test. If everything turns out alright, then you can always download again to your real logbook.
remyvandemortel

Hello TnT.

I made a new logbook and connected the dive computer. It works great and it downloaded the data from the diving computer.

But i've noticed something about the diving time and the pressure in the tank.
I made 7 dives and downloaded these into diving log. Underneath is what diving log read and what is stored in my computer.
Dive nr: Divetime Divinglog 6.0 Divetime computer Start-end pressure DL6.0 Start-end pressure Computer
1 71 min 68 min 203-61 bar 202-60 bar
2 67 min 63 min 196-64 bar 195-63 bar
3 61 min 58 min same as diving computer
4 66 min 63 min same as diving computer
5 57 min 53 min 204-55 bar 204-54 bar
6 64 min 60 min 206-44 bar 205-43 bar
7 59 min 55 min 203-29 bar 202-28 bar

So there is a little difference in diving time each time. that the pressure isn't exactly right that is not a problem. But i also keep an diving log on paper because i write everything down after the dive on paper log. and than the times don't compare is i use the times from the diving watch in the paper log and the downloaded time in the digital log.

Also i was wondering where it get it's temperature from because on the watch the temperature is shown as whole numbers without a digit. (that also isn't a big problem but i was just wondering.

And another question, when does it count as a repetetive dive? cause i had about 20 hours between one dive and the next and it says that it is a second dive.

THNX

Super THNX for already get this ready this far so i can read out the diving computer. (this is even more as what i can do with the mares software hahaha).

Greetings

Remy van de Mortel
TnT

Post by TnT »

Small differences in the pressure and temperature are most likely caused by rounding. These values are recorded by your dive computer with a units of respectively 0.01bar and 0.1°C. If the application (or the dive computer) doesn't show the digits, then a small difference is expected depending on how the value is rounded. For example 10.5 can end up as 10 or 11.

The difference in the dive time is something different, but also not entirely unusual. Typically dive computers detect the end of a dive, when you are a certain amount of time near the surface (typically the depth threshold is around 1m). But during this time, the dive computer keeps recording in case you go down again and continue your dive. So the dive time is always a bit shorter than elapsed time. Some dive computers will exclude the shallow parts of the dive from the reported divetime, and others will not.

Libdivecomputer simply reports the value that is stored in the data as the dive time. I don't know which value the dive computer displays. It might be that it takes into account excludes the shallow part. Normally, I would suggest to compare with the value displayed by the Mares software. I expect this will be the same value as shown by libdivecomputer/divinglog. But if the Smart Air is not supported yet, that's not possible yet.
remyvandemortel

Hello TnT.

I downloaded the latest version form the mares software and now the Smart air is supported.

When i download the dives from the computer to the program of mares, all information is correct so there is absolutely no difference. The time i have been in the water is even exact upon the second and also the pressure of the tank is exact upon one digit after the whole number.

Maybe you can get the information or how they retrieve the information from the diving computer?

And if i can help you in some kind of way with this to make your program also more accurate (I still love your program).

i have some screenshots from the program so you can see what i mean. If you some files or anything please tell me so i can help you get your good program even better.

Greetings

Remy
Attachments
dive program mares 2.jpg
dive program mares 2.jpg (252.47 KiB) Viewed 31165 times
dive program mares 1.jpg
dive program mares 1.jpg (262.4 KiB) Viewed 31165 times
TnT

Post by TnT »

Can you send me your DiveOrganizer database to have a look?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Remy

This looks like normal rounding. Diving Log rounds tank pressure in metric units (bar) to full numbers, so 202.7 bar is rounded to 203 bar, for example. In your screenshot you can see 60.6 bar, which is rounded to 61 bar in Diving Log. Some computers end their dive time when the diver arrives on the surface, even though the profile data is recorded a bit longer.

Kind regards,
Sven
remyvandemortel

Hello Sven. I know that thnx for replying. I only want to help to make the program better and more accurate because.

For exampe I fill in my logboek on paper when on holiday
When i come home i will connect the dive computer to my pc and let the program download the dives. Then there is a difference between. The times in my log book on paper and in my program on the pc.
Zo if this could be the same than this is synchroon to eachother. And between the mares software and the data shown on the diving computer is the same so for example the time on the diving computer and mares software is the same and between diving log and the diving computer there is sometimes a difference of a couple of minutes.

Zo maybe this way divinglog will only get better.

Don 't het me wrong. I really like the divinglog program and i appreciate the efforts the people behind the program are putting info it. Zo if i can help to get it better why not.

Greetings

Remy
remyvandemortel

Hello TnT.

Can i have your e-mail so i can send it bij e-mail. it is a .dbf file and i can't post it here because the extension is not supported.

THNX

and let me know if need some other files.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Remy

As an alternate solution (and if Jef cannot solve that in libdivecomputer), you can try to import from Mares DiveOrganizer into Diving Log using the import function instead of downloading the computer with Diving Log. That way you should get the exact same values as they are shown in Dive Organizer.

Btw, the Dive Organizer logbook file has the extension *.sdf. Diving Log should show you the file location in the open file dialog of the Dive Organizer import function. You can email the file to jef (at) libdivecomputer.org.

Kind regards,
Sven
remyvandemortel

THNX
Iám going to mail the databasefile.

I made a backup and than the proggram makes a file with the extension .dbf. but i also found the file you told.

i will send them both by email.

and i will try your solution.

THNX again