Shearwater Perdix?

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
tmassey

Shearwater Perdix?

Post by tmassey »

Hello!

I am a new Diving Log user. I recently purchased a Shearwater Perdix to replace my Oceanic Veo 180NX computer. (Yeah, big jump!) I tried using Shearwater Desktop but found that it wouldn't import my OceanLog data. So, after some research, I've purchased Diving Log 6.0.

I've imported my OceanLog data successfully. But now I'm trying to download the data from my Perdix. The process is certainly *not* intuitive. After some searching, I found the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2394&p=11511&hilit= ... oad#p11511

I've followed these instructions. However, the Perdix is not listed. For now, I've selected Petrel 2. However, that doesn't seem to have worked fully correctly. On a dive with a gas change, the dive only shows the part of the dive done on the first gas. It shows a *rapid* spike to the surface at the end instead of continuing with the rest of the dive after the gas change! :)

I don't know if that's simply because the software will need an update for the Perdix, or something else. Hence my post here.

If you need any further information, please reply and I will be happy to supply what I can.
tmassey

Re: Shearwater Perdix?

Post by tmassey »

While I'm on the subject: there is a good deal of information in Shearwater Desktop that I do not see in Diving Log. This includes:

Gradient Factors
Battery level
Serial number
Firmware version

Most of that is pretty trivial, but the Gradient Factors is a pretty big one. I do change these somewhat based on diving conditions and it would be really nice to have this pulled in from the computer -- as SD does.

Of course, maybe it's actually handled by DL6 and I just don't know where? :) (After all, it took me a while to find that the gas type was stored somewhere else than the main screen: If you're going to put the *tank* on the main screen why not the gas?)
TnT

Post by TnT »

The Perdix isn't listed because it's not officially supported yet. In order to add it we need confirmation from a successful download. Download the libdivecomputer dctool application. It's a command-line application which you need to run with these options:

Code: Select all

dctool.exe -v -l petrel.log -f petrel download -o dive.%n.bin -f raw <COMx>
Replace <COMx> with the correct serial port. When done email me the petrel.log and dive.*.bin files.
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

tmassey wrote:While I'm on the subject: there is a good deal of information in Shearwater Desktop that I do not see in Diving Log. This includes:

Gradient Factors
Battery level
Serial number
Firmware version

Most of that is pretty trivial, but the Gradient Factors is a pretty big one. I do change these somewhat based on diving conditions and it would be really nice to have this pulled in from the computer -- as SD does.

Of course, maybe it's actually handled by DL6 and I just don't know where? :) (After all, it took me a while to find that the gas type was stored somewhere else than the main screen: If you're going to put the *tank* on the main screen why not the gas?)
Hi

Diving Log is using libdivecomputer for downloading, which is a universal dive computer download library. Because of this nature, it has to be more general and cannot support every brand specific feature. Diving Log also has to support a large number of dive computers and does not have very specific data fields for each computer type. That being said I try to extend the logbook format if required but also try to avoid to bloating it too much.

Because of that, Diving Log also offers a logbook layout function which can show or hide all kind of fields. You can add all data from the first tank to the logbook page, including O2 and He values. These are already included in the "Extended Layout". Here you can find some more information:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?page_id=1796

If you also want to see data that is currently not supported by Diving Log (e.g. battery level), I recommend you download the Perdix with Shearwater Desktop and then import from SD into Diving Log. That way you have both data formats.

Kind regards,
Sven
tmassey

Post by tmassey »

Thank you for the reply! The log data is e-mailed. Please let me know if you don't receive it.

I understand that a generic framework for dozens of computers isn't necessarily going to grab every last scrap of information. And like I said, most of the details I mentioned are trivial: I'm not changing serial numbers or firmware versions underwater, and knowing the exact battery voltage for each dive is not real relevant.

The gradient factors, though, really are a much more important factor, on many levels. For one thing, they are a real meaningful part of what numbers are actually showing up second by second on the computer. For another thing, not only can they change from dive to dive, but on the Shearwater you can actually change them *during* the dive. That would *really* be nice to see in the log, especially when you want to go back and see why you had a certain amount of deco and at certain depths, to maybe create a better profile for a similar dive down the road.

I had already come to the conclusion you mentioned: downloading the data into both Shearwater Desktop *and* Diving Log. And I sure don't expect DL to handle things like firmware updates. But boy, the gradient factors would be a really nice feature to have in the tool I hope to use as my primary log management tool... :)

And thank you for mentioning that the layout was so configurable. That is so rare I never even thought to look to see if it was possible! As a programmer, I take my hat off to you: I know how hard it is to create a tool that works well that is that flexible! I'm going to have to spend some quality time with the documentation.

I still think that if there's a tank entry by default there should be a gas entry right next to it... The tank has to be filled with something, right? :)

Thank you very much for the fast response. Let me know if I can assist further with Perdix support.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you very much for the feedback! I'll certainly take this into account for the next database update!
Praetonius

Post by Praetonius »

Hi Sven,

do you have any news regarding this topic for us?
Is it still impossible to import gradient factors with the desktop version?

I saw that the deco model and the gradient factors are visible in the iOS App while importing the data from the perdix directly to the App. I still download all dives to my desktop computer, update them with all other informations and sync this version from time to time with my iPhone - so it would be good to can show these informations, too. :-)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Which iOS app do you mean, the Shearwater app or the More Mobile Dive Log app? I don't think the More Mobile App shows gradient factors and deco model, because they are using the same logbook format as the desktop version. Maybe the Shearwater app does, but I have not tried the iOS version of it.

Right now there are no separate fields for this data and libdivecomputer cannot download this data either. Libdivecomputer is a general download libarary for all kind of computers, so it is unlikely that very specific fiels like deco model and gradient factors will be ever supported.

You can however enter any data either in the dive comments field or use one of the user defined fields for this (you can rename the user defined field label). There is also a "Deco Info" textbox, which you could add to your logbook layout to enter the deco model, for example.
TnT

Post by TnT »

divinglog wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 00:37 Right now there are no separate fields for this data and libdivecomputer cannot download this data either. Libdivecomputer is a general download libarary for all kind of computers, so it is unlikely that very specific fiels like deco model and gradient factors will be ever supported.
The deco model and gradient factors is something that is on my (long) todo list to add in libdivecomputer.

Jef
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
Praetonius

Post by Praetonius »

Hi Sven, I meant the iOS Dive Log App, sorry.

When I download the dives from my perdix with this app (including the in-app purchase for the Shearwater Download) I have these informations:
Screenshot Dive Log App
Screenshot Dive Log App
IMG_4622.PNG (158.9 KiB) Viewed 26376 times
ZHL-16C
GF: 20/80
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Ahh, it looks like they are storing this data in the "Deco Details" field. You can drag and drop this field into your layout to show it in the desktop version:

Image1.png
Image1.png (55.66 KiB) Viewed 26375 times
Praetonius

Post by Praetonius »

Sorry for my late reply...
Thanks for your answer, but this isn't working.

While "playing" a bit with the fields, I saw that the correct field is "Gas Details" (or "Notiz" in the Dive Log App).
For this the export to the smartphone and the import from the smartphone is working. :-)
(only the naming is a bit confusing ;-) )