Problem downloading aeris ai data and general comments

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
theojt

Problem downloading aeris ai data and general comments

Post by theojt »

I am a relatively new user of DL so maybe I am doing something wrong; however when I downloaded directly from my Aeris ai, I get the dive profile but it is missing some data fields and I see minor discrepancies in other fields. When I Downloaded (directly from my Aeris ai), I found the following fields remain blank, though they should have been populated (no errors were reported during the Import that I could see):
• Start Pressure
• End Pressure
• Ascent (rate)

When I Import the same data from the Aeris Logbook via Oceanlog Import, I do get the Start Pressure and End Pressure fields (but not Ascent Rate).

I just dove Air so I can’t comment on PO2 values and whether they are captured properly or not.

Discrepancies:

Depth – Diving Log carries the depth value to two decimal places and I realize that the Aeris Log rounds to nearest whole number – yet the difference was sometimes two feet where I would think it should be 1 foot or less difference (due to above-mentioned rounding). It’s all based on the same source data.

Temperature is not clearly indicated as “Min. Temperature” which it appears to be (rather than an average Temperature). I did a quick average of temperature by exporting from Aeris logbook into Excel and then averaging the temp values. One calculated average was 84.5 yet the posted value was 84. Maybe it is just truncated, maybe it’s averaged and then truncated, most probably it’s the Minimum Temp but I’m not sure. It would be nice to know specifically what this value is; for dives with greater temperature swings than what I saw.

Enhancements:

Add a field for the DC Serial Number (I have two Aeris ai’s) – it would be nice to distinguish between multiple similar DC’s.

Read from the DC (if possible, or calculate) the sample rate (interval) and stick it into a field

Read the Nitrogen Bar Graph segments “per sample point” (I think this is available in the DC as I see it in each sample point in the Aeris logbook) – Same with Oxygen Bar Graph. Not all DCs are the same but I know all Aeris and Oceanic have bar graphs, and so do Suunto, Sherwood, Cressi and Uwatec so I think it would be useful to a fairly broad audience.

I'm really pleased with Diving Log so far and I'm anxious to start customizing some layouts.

Jeff
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Problem downloading aeris ai data and general comments

Post by divinglog »

Hi Jeff

Thank you for the comments and feedback! The universal downloader in Diving Log works in a very unified way to support as many dive computers as possible, so special data only supported by some devices won't be supported. Currently also mainly profile data and some dive header data like date and time is transferred, so minimum temperature and tank pressure data is calculated from the profile and can be slightly different. If there is no tank pressure profile, you currently also don't get start and end pressure, even if these values are in the dive computer. This will be probably extended in future, but Jef (Forum nick TnT) would be the one to answer this question.

Ascent rate is always calculated from the depth profile and is available for every dive with a profile. All these downloaders are done without any support from manufactures (in most cases), so you cannot expect 100% perfect results. Also, Diving Log stores everything in metric units, so rounding issue for imperial units are possible.
theojt wrote:Add a field for the DC Serial Number (I have two Aeris ai’s) – it would be nice to distinguish between multiple similar DC’s.
You can add the serial number to the dive computer field. I think the number of people with 2 excatly the same computers is too small to justify a separate field.
theojt wrote:Read from the DC (if possible, or calculate) the sample rate (interval) and stick it into a field
It's already imported, otherwise it won't be possible to draw the profile time axis. You can view it when clicking the clock icon in the profile tab of the toolbar or in the logbook table window.
theojt wrote:Read the Nitrogen Bar Graph segments “per sample point” (I think this is available in the DC as I see it in each sample point in the Aeris logbook) – Same with Oxygen Bar Graph. Not all DCs are the same but I know all Aeris and Oceanic have bar graphs, and so do Suunto, Sherwood, Cressi and Uwatec so I think it would be useful to a fairly broad audience.
These graphs are very specific for each manufacturer and from most computers they unfortunately can't be imported at all (Suuntos, Uwatec), because they are calculated dynamically. I think a more general approach of nitrogen loading would be better, but this is not such a high priority at the moment.
theojt wrote:I'm really pleased with Diving Log so far and I'm anxious to start customizing some layouts.
Thank you very much! If you want to share your layout with other Diving Log users just send me the file and I'll put it on the download site.

Best regards,
Sven