Looking for testers for Diving Log Facebook Profile Uploader

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
AndyDragon

Looking for testers for Diving Log Facebook Profile Uploader

Post by AndyDragon »

I'm looking for some testers to play around with my Diving Log Facebook Profile Uploader application. I am also looking for people who are interested in translating the UI. I will send you a list of strings to translate if you are interested.

In the meantime, the application page is here:

https://www.facebook.com/DivingLogProfileUploader
http://www.opencircuitscuba.com/downloa ... ublish.htm

If you go to that page, you can click on the Download App button at the top which will take you to a ClickOnce installation page. This requires .NET 4.0 (which can be installed from that page) and (I think) Vista or higher - hopefully some brave XP users will give it a try and provide feedback.

So what exactly does this do? Easiest to run though the steps to upload a profile and then talk about what is done.

1. open the application
2. click the 'Open' button to open your Diving Log database file (*.mdb)
3. once that opens, your dives your be in the list
4. either double-click a dive or select a dive and click the 'Upload' button
5. at this point the application will try to log into Facebook
- if you have your credentials saved, it should bring you to the permissions page, otherwise log into Facebook
- on the permissions page, you have to agree to the required permissions to allow the uploader to function
6. once this is complete, you should be looking at a screen with a text box to enter a comment, a picture of the dive profile and some basic information beside that
7. after a few seconds, your Facebook user picture and name should appear
8. enter a comment (from 10 characters up to 240) and use the two sliders at the bottom to tweak the image prior to the upload (this makes it look nicer at the expense of accuracy - something not terribly important for the profile
9. once you are happy with the comments and the tweaking, click the 'Upload' button
10. the uploader will do its thing and when complete you can close that screen and pick another dive

So what is 'its thing'?? The application does the following with your Facebook account:

1. if the 'Diving Log Images' album is not found, it tries to create that album
2. uploads a copy of the profile image to the album
3. creates a link notification post on your wall with the comment you entered above and some basic information about the dive (doesn't include any confidential information and does NOT include your buddies)

The link notification post links to the picture in the album, so when you click it, the bigger image of the profile is shown.

Why?

Why not? This is one more thing that shares your activities on Facebook. I originally thought of this feature after using an iPhone app that tracks my fitness routes and posts a similar notification. I thought it was cool (and so did a lot of other people), so I thought I wish I could do the same with dives. Now I can.

NOTE: THIS APPLICATION WAS NOT WRITTEN BY SVEN AND IS PROVIDED AS IS. I MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT YOUR COMPUTER WILL NOT SUDDENLY JUMP UP AND THROW ITSELF ON THE FLOOR. I HAVE ENDEAVORED TO MAKE IT ROBUST AND SAFE, BUT AS WITH ALL SOFTWARE, BAD THINGS HAPPEN. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF SHARING THE CODE WITH SVEN AND HE CAN CONFIRM THERE ARE NO EVIL INTENTIONS.

Also note that this is early development and there may be bugs. At no time do I write to the logbook file or to your file system. The only place anything is serialized is to Facebook (which you can then go and erase). I am interested in people testing this and helping find bugs. If you do run into problems, I may ask for your log book file to see if I can track down WHY it happened. Don't be offended and don't be afraid to tell me to stuff it, I won't be offended either.
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
schelvis

Re: Looking for testers for Diving Log Facebook Profile Uplo

Post by schelvis »

Hi, great idea!

However, when I doubleclick a dive and get the popup which should be used to login Facebook it displays a HTTP error 500:

Kan de pagina niet weergeven
HTTP 500
Meest waarschijnlijke oorzaken:
Aan deze website wordt gewerkt.
De website bevat een programmeerfout.

Mogelijke acties:
Geef het adres opnieuw op.

Ga terug naar de vorige pagina

Meer informatie

Deze fout (HTTP-fout 500 - Interne serverfout) houdt in dat de bezochte website een serverprobleem heeft waardoor de webpagina niet goed kan worden weergegeven.

Cheers,

Leo
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Hey Leo,

I am on vacation right now and not able to look into this, I will be back home later this week and I will try to find out why this is happening.

Andy
Andrew Forget
schelvis

Post by schelvis »

Just now it worked. Maybe a temporary glitch.

However the temperature is displayed wrong, it said I went into water of 48C, it was closer to the 17 ;)

Also it would be nice to be able to edit the string text which is being posted to FB.

Just my thoughts :)
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

There are plans to allow users to change the text that gets posted with placeholders for text. I am also looking for translators interested in translating the text to other cultures.

As for the temperature, have you set the imperial to off? If so, is the temperature the only value which appears to be wrong? I will look into it on my side, but can you confirm the value is correct inside of Diving Log?
Andrew Forget
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Actually I found the error - stupid order of operations error on my part. You should run the application again and it will tell you there is an update. Install the update and the problem with the temperature should be fixed.
Andrew Forget
SpaceDeep

Post by SpaceDeep »

When i try to open DB i receive "Diving log Facebook uploader has stoped worked."
Using Windows 7 x64 with diving log 5
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

sent PM to get a copy of the DB...
Andrew Forget
PiAir

Post by PiAir »

I received this error (only last line is error of course):

Did not find the album, creating album now...
Posting the dive profile picture...
Getting the dive profile picture properties...
Posting the dive profile notice to your wall...
Failed to post the dive profile notice to your Facebook wall:
(OAuthException) (#100) FBCDN image is not allowed in stream: http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3015_n.jpg

Yet, the status update was posted, the profile picture was there,the comment that I entered was there, no other info though (not even the location of the dive).
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

PiAir,

Strange that this error shows up. Basically it seems FB was okay with the uploader creating the album, posting the picture (which automatically creates the post you're seeing) but refused to allow the uploader to post to your wall. Can you check the app settings in FB to see if it's allowed to do the last (post to your wall). Or have you blocked the app (by accident) or have some settings that prevent all apps from posting to your wall?

I just posted a dive about 5 hours ago and it posted without any problems.

Failing that, all I can ask is if you can post your next dive as well and see if the same thing happens.
Andrew Forget
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Oh, another thing...did you check the 'keep me logged in' setting in the Facebook login window? I'm wondering if the access token timed out...
Andrew Forget
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

I did a search on that response and apparently Facebook as enabled and disabled this restriction a few times over the last 2 years. It seems to be intermittent. I am looking into possible solutions and ways that there might be to get around the problem...
Andrew Forget
PiAir

Post by PiAir »

AndyDragon wrote:Oh, another thing...did you check the 'keep me logged in' setting in the Facebook login window? I'm wondering if the access token timed out...
I was pretty sure I did check that. But when I tried uploading another (older) log entry today, it was unchecked and I had to log in again.
I made sure to check the box, but the error occurred again (and update still was posted).
I then closed the uploader and started it again. Again it asked for my login.
Somehow it is not storing my login status/info?
PiAir

Post by PiAir »

AndyDragon wrote: Can you check the app settings in FB to see if it's allowed to do the last (post to your wall). Or have you blocked the app (by accident) or have some settings that prevent all apps from posting to your wall?.
The app still has access to post to my wall, no changes made, I can't see any settings that would block all apps from doing that.
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Thanks PiAir. Seems there is an issue from certain accounts. I am working on a fix.
Andrew Forget