Can't open serial port

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
scubal

Can't open serial port

Post by scubal »

Using the downloader to connect to DL5.0.2.
PC is WIndows XP SP3.
DC is DiveRite Nitek Trio - which same as Zeagle N2ition3.
DC connects and transfers using Seiko software (diveLogBook 1.1) so I know cable etc is ok.
Have installed updated driver so I get virtual serial port. Initially Com20 - but I reset to Com2.
However, despite driver installing ok and COM port showing up cannot connect to DC. Running N2ition test program results in:
C:\Temp>n2ition3 com2
DATETIME 2011-01-17T10:26:37Z (1295259997)
REVISION 4fd295b4acdfed77be0660a29b3a00cb8b8a7259
DEVICE=com2
zeagle_n2ition3_device_open
TRACE (../../source/src/serial_win32.c:122, CreateFile): The system cannot f
the file specified (2)
../../source/src/zeagle_n2ition3.c:159: Failed to open the serial port.
../../source/examples/zeagle_n2ition3_test.c:36: Error opening serial port.

ie *cant* open the serial port. Where to from here? any suggestions?
Note: Lots (com3 -> com19) are marked as 'in use' in device manager - even though I dont have anything connected to them.....I might have had something connected to them at one point, but now gone - seems the mapping lives on? Any way to remove old port mappings?

Al.
scubal

Re: Can't open serial port

Post by scubal »

ok
solved part of the issue. Seems that changing an already installed USB-COM driver to use another com port doesnt work properly. The trick is to uninstall the virtual com device - make sure you have a spare *low* com port (ie sub-9) and then reinstall - so the installation process picks the correct com port itself. Mine ended up on port 7 - and the download test program now works. Hope this helps someone else.
TnT

Re: Can't open serial port

Post by TnT »

If you manually change the port number, it will only take effect after a reboot.

The failure to open COMx ports with a number higher than 9 has already been fixed in one of the latest updates. You can find the link and some more info in this topic: viewtopic.php?p=6047#p6047