How to report dive computer download problems?

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
TnT

How to report dive computer download problems?

Post by TnT »

For downloading dives directly from a dive computer, the new Diving Log 5.02 universal downloader relies on the open source libdivecomputer library. Thus if you are experiencing a communication problem (timeouts, transfer protocol errors, etc) during the download, you should follow the procedure below to report your problem with all the information I need.

1. Identify the correct backend for your device.

Have a look at the list of supported devices, which is grouped by backend. The backend type is the name of the first device (lowercase and no spaces) in the list. If your device is not listed, you can usually pick the correct one based on the other names in the list.

For example the backend for a Suunto Vyper 2 is "vyper2", which I will use in the instructions below. If your backend is different one, replace "vyper2" with the correct one.

2. Download the test application.

Download the corresponding test application, and save it to your desktop. Then, open a Command Prompt (Start-> All Programs -> Accessories-> Command Prompt). Now, move into the directory where you downloaded the test app. For example:

cd Desktop

3. Connect the device, identify the portname and run the test application.

If you haven't installed the necessary USB driver yet, download and install that before you continue. If the manufacturer software is working, you already have it installed. Except for Seiko based devices (Cressi, Zeagle), which need a different driver.

Connect the serial or USB cable to your PC. Now you need to find out which portname is assigned to your cable. Usually it is named COMx, where x is a small number like 3 or 4. It's the same port you would select in Diving Log. If you don't know the name, you can find it in the Windows Device Manager.

Now you are ready to run the test application. Don't forget to activate the transfer mode of your device first if necessary. Then run the test application from the command prompt, by typing this command:

vyper2.exe COMx

After you hit enter, it should start ticking away doing a bunch of stuff. When it's finished, you should have a VYPER2.LOG and if successful also a VYPER2.DMP file in your directory. Email both of those to me (jefdriesen at hotmail.com).

Let us know if you have any problems with any of this!
TnT

Re: How to report dive computer download problems?

Post by TnT »

If anyone is interested, I have created a small graphical application for downloading and visualizing the dive profiles. It's mainly intended for internal testing by myself (so you'll notice it's a quick job), but you can also use it to verify whether there are errors in the decoding of the profile data. Just compare the graphs with those of the manufacturers application and let me know if you spot any errors.

To use it, you'll have to download the gtk runtime first, and extract the zip file somewhere. Then download the downloader zip file, and extract its contents into the bin directory of the gtk runtime. Now you can double click the downloader.exe to start it. Just fill in the portname, choose the correct backend and click OK. The rest should be self explanatory.

Note that if you want to compare with Diving Log (e.g. to confirm whether a problem is located in Diving Log or the libdivecomputer library), you should also replace the libdivecomputer-0.dll in the bin directory with the one from the Diving Log installation folder. This is necessary to guarantee both applications are using the same libdivecomputer version.
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Jef,

I'm getting a shiny new VT 4.0 on Tuesday. I will try to grab a raw dump with the empty computer and then another on Wednesday with a single dive on it. Once I fill up the memory (not hard with 2 sec sampling), I'll send another once it wraps...
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
Swulf

Post by Swulf »

Hello,

I have an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt and have tried using Diving Log 5 (V5.0.6) and the File|Download|Downloader feature to get logs from recent dives, but it doesn't work in spite having followed all instructions re: zadig.exe etc. I am running Windows 7 Pro.

I read TnT's notes above and identified the Atomic backend as 'atom2.exe' but maybe that is not right, as when I run the test software I see messages referring to 'oceanic_atom2'. Sounds like a different brand.

Any ideas how I can go about troubleshooting this problem?

Swulf

PS I had Atomic Aquatics dive logbook software installed and it was working to upload an earlier version of firmware to the computer. However they recently released new firmware which the same software would seem to find despite being flagged as available in email to customers. I then noticed that they had also released a new version of their logbook software so I downloaded that and tried to install it; this failed because it said the previous version was still installed. So I went to uninstall it in Windows Add/Remove Programs only to find it has no uninstall entry. I removed the files manually and the new software still won't install, still claiming the old version is installed. So I am stuck; I cannot install the new version of Atomic's software, and Diving Log 5.0's download feature seems to be broken for my Cobalt.
TnT

Post by TnT »

There is no test application for the atomics cobalt because it's more complex to build it in an automated way. I can build one for you, but I suspect this is a driver issue. If you run the zadig installer, make sure you install the winusb driver. Can you send me a screenshot of the zadig installer, just to make sure everything is correct there?

Give me a couple of days to prepare a test app for you.

https://www.divinglog.de/english/tutorials/cobalt.php
Swulf

Post by Swulf »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have since switched tactics on the Cobalt and now I just download the data from the Atomic Aquatics application, which I finally got to work.

However, I am now trying to pull old dives from my Suunto EON Lux (which I assume is, as far as protocols go, the same as the Suunto EON) and again I am having no luck. I am on Windows 7 with a Keyspan USB-to-serial adapter on COM5 connected to the Lux. The serial port is set to 1200 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 2 stop bits, no flow control, which I believe to be correct (based on this: http://markusfritze.com/papers:suunto_eon)

Trying your 'eon.exe' test program as:

eon.exe COM5

results in

>eon.exe COM5

DATETIME 2012-03-05T01:27:48Z (1330910868)
REVISION 605cb37c234a28c1f973a16ce1669741bf427658
DEVICE=COM5
suunto_eon_device_open
TRACE (../../source/src/serial_win32.c:122, CreateFile): Access is denied (5)
../../source/src/suunto_eon.c:99: Failed to open the serial port.
../../source/examples/suunto_eon_test.c:37: Error opening serial port.
SUMMARY
-------
test_dump_memory: Input/output error

I notice the 'Access is denied' - but this persists even after changing the permissions of the file to 'Run as Administrator' and allowing it to do whatever it likes.
TnT

Post by TnT »

Swulf wrote:The serial port is set to 1200 bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 2 stop bits, no flow control, which I believe to be correct (based on this: http://markusfritze.com/papers:suunto_eon)
You don't have to adjust the port settings manually. This is already done by the application after opening the serial port. So the settings you have configured in the driver are not used by the application.
Swulf wrote:I notice the 'Access is denied' - but this persists even after changing the permissions of the file to 'Run as Administrator' and allowing it to do whatever it likes.
Most likely reason for the access denied error is that another application already has the port open. On Windows serial ports are opened with exclusive access mode, which means that only one application can have the serial port open at the same time. So this has nothing to do with permissions and running as administrator won't make a difference. Try closing all applications that might have the serial port open (Suunto Dive Manager, Diving Log, etc) and try again. If you don't have a clue which application, just reboot.
Swulf

Post by Swulf »

Hello,

I followed your advice and rebooted, performing the following command immediately afterward. It reached this point and sat there for nearly ten minutes, not doing anything else. Eventually I just disconnected the EON and it didn't seem to notice. Locked/frozen?

>eon.exe com5
DATETIME 2012-03-07T04:50:53Z (1331095853)
REVISION 605cb37c234a28c1f973a16ce1669741bf427658
DEVICE=com5
suunto_eon_device_open
Configure: baudrate=1200, databits=8, parity=0, stopbits=2, flowcontrol=0
Timeout: value=-1
RTS: value=0
device_dump
Write: timer=15, size=1, data=50, remaining=0
TnT

Post by TnT »

It's not really frozen, but waiting for data to arrive. The test application uses an infinite timeout (e.g. Timeout: value=-1) and thus if there is some problem and no data arrives it will just wait forever. I simply forgot to switch back to a finite timeout, to have the test application give up after a while and return an error. That's an easy fix, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem of course.

Can you download successfully with Suunto Dive Manager? If yes, can you download again with SDM, capture the communication with Portmon and send me the logfile? The procedure is explained here:

http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/contr ... l#protocol

Once I have that info, I can try to fix the test application (and thus the divinglog downloader too).
Swulf

Post by Swulf »

Here's the latest.

a) I am on Windows 64 bit Professional, just so you know.

b) I didn't have a copy of the old Suunto Diving Manager (SDM) software that I purchased with the EON LUX all those years ago, so I found a copy on the Suunto site (http://www.suunto.com/us/products/Softw ... ve-manager - the actual link to the software is here: http://ns.suunto.com/software/diving/SDM_1.6_Full.exe)

c) I downloaded the PortMon software you linked to above

d) I set the Properties | Conmpatibility of both programs to run as if they were under Windows XP

e) I rebooted

The Suunto Dive Manager software doesn't see the EON LUX at all; in addition, it fails the 'Test' function that it has, which requires you to short two contacts on the PC interface with the dive computer disconnected.

Further, PortMon doesn't seem to work either (an incidental fact is that the instructions you give for setting it up seem to refer to menus etc. that do not exist on the version I got from the link you provided. The PortMon version is V3.03, by the way.)
TnT

Post by TnT »

PortMon works on 32bit Windows only. Using compatibility mode doesn't work either. This is becoming a major problem for diagnosing problems, because most people are having 64bit Windows versions nowadays. And according to this facebook post, there are no plans to update PortMon to support 64bit Windows. There are alternatives available, but unfortunately they are not freeware.

But this doesn't matter as long as SDM doesn't work, because there isn't anything to capture. Did downloading your EON ever worked in the past (using SDM, divinglog, or...)?
rene

Post by rene »

Hello,

I can send you tonight an old version of SDM if you want to try with it.

You can certainly capture serial ports with com0com (http://com0com.sourceforge.net/) with hub4com. I think also you can capture the serial port with a linux machine running xp with virtualbox and wireshark. It's not easy...

rené
Swulf

Post by Swulf »

Hello,

'But this doesn't matter as long as SDM doesn't work, because there isn't anything to capture. Did downloading your EON ever worked in the past (using SDM, divinglog, or...)?'

@TnT: I have successfully used SDM to download from this EON LUX and PC interface in the past. But that was a different PC and was under Windows XP. I have never had it working with Diving Log but I can try again. I might be able to bag an old Windows XP laptop from work and see if I can get the data you want using that... seems worth a try as Windows 7/64 is obviously a compatibility nightmare.

@Rene: Thanks for the offer. Is it a version different to Version 1.6 (1.6.0.3426), which is what I got from the Suunto site?

Thanks for all your help. Maybe we can eventually get all this working!
rene

Post by rene »

I sent you a private message with links for Suunto DM 1.6, 2.7 and 3.1.

However EON is not listed in SDM 2.7. I'm afraid the 1.6 version I have is the same you've downloaded...

rené
TnT

Post by TnT »

If you can dig up a 32bit Windows XP and get SDM to work, that would be a great starting point. Windows 7 and 64bit is probably not the main reason for the download failure, but the only way to rule that out is by getting SDM to work. Once you get the download working on some system, we can start to diagnose the test application.

Anyway, I did found some eon logfiles in my archives, and modified the test application to match the SDM download sequence more closely. Can you already give it a try? You can download it here: http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/build ... ws/eon.exe

@rene: Using com0com (or a similar solution) only allows to capture the data. But to get the communication right you also need the other serial settings (baudrate, DTR/RTS lines, etc) and the timings right. These are not always available in all tools.