Questions about adding pictures phpDivingLog 2.1.2

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
terrylowe

Questions about adding pictures phpDivingLog 2.1.2

Post by terrylowe »

Hi,
I am a complete novice with php and with MySQL. I decided to try to post my log online using the directions in these forums and .... it worked! I nearly pulled all of my teeth trying to get it to work with GoDaddy, so I posted what worked for me under another topic.

I am stuck with getting pictures to upload. If I upload my dive log, no actual picture is uploaded. Is it supposed to be uploaded with the dive log, or do I need to do that in another step? I used my FTP client to upload one picture to my picture folder just to see if it would work and it did.....except I do not know how to resize the picture so it is not 10 times bigger than my computer screen. (Unless I manually resize it before I send it)
Is the picture viewing size set up in the config.inc.php file?
I read where there would be a photo icon to indicate that a dive has an attached picture. Is that option available for us php-naive people? If so, would you list the exact steps so I could possibly copy and paste it into my config file?

Can the Divelog 5.0 MySQL uploader upload a picture? That would be the most convenient way of doing it. If it can, how do I need to configure paths under Advanced Settings?

http://www.fpahc.com/dive
Dive 99 has the sample photo attached

Thanks for your hard work with these programs!

Terry
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Questions about adding pictures phpDivingLog 2.1.2

Post by divinglog »

Hi Terry

You must upload the images seperately with an FTP tool. Before uploading your should also resize the images, not only to fit the screen, but mainly to reduce the file size for faster displaying. Recommended size would be 1024 pixel, for example. There are image programs which can resize several images with one click, called "batch converting".

Diving Log currently can't upload or resize images. This would be possible but a lot of work because I would have to create an image tool and a FTP client, which are basically seperate applications. And given that my feature request list is really long it is not very likely that I'll be able to create those functions in the near future. But there are ready to use tools out there.

Best regards,
Sven
terrylowe

Re: Questions about adding pictures phpDivingLog 2.1.2

Post by terrylowe »

No problem at all using a FTP client...just wanted to be sure that I was not trying to re-invent the wheel.

In regards to the long list of feature requests....it's exciting as an end-user to watch Diving Log get better and better! Keep up the hard work.

Terry