Suggestions - Global Lookups

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Romantic

Suggestions - Global Lookups

Post by Romantic »

I have 4 logbooks on my system (myself & 3 kids). I would love it if the lookup fields only had to be added to one logbook and then be available to all the other logbooks. Basically remove the lookup fields from the logbook file and put them in a global file.

Country
City
Dive Site
Buddy
Dive Master
Boat Name
etc....
Greg A Salyer
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions - Global Lookups

Post by divinglog »

Hi Greg

The problem with this function is, when you move the logbook files to other locations, the links do not work anymore and the data is missing. I want to keep the logbook files self contained, so a logbook file can be easily moved and synced to other devices.

For example, when everyone of your family members has his own smartphone and you sync the logbook files to each phone, you need the detailed data on each phone. The app also would have to constantly query data from other databases, which would be a slowdown and also removes the possiblity of advanced database queries.

Kind regards,
Sven
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

How about just the ability to Export and Import these lookups manually from an XML file? This would solve his root problem which is having to create data 4 times. He could create his lists, export to xml, then import into his other logbooks.

It would also allow people to share community-sourced lookup data like "Dive Sites of the Red Sea" or "Dive Shops in Cozumel".
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You can use the "Diving Log" import function to transfer data from one logbook to another, which works for "family" scenarios. For community scenarios, a XML file with just the public shared data would be better, of course.
Romantic

Post by Romantic »

I really would love to not have to type everything 4 times.
Greg A Salyer
reefhound

Post by reefhound »

I would love to have an Import/Export for these lookups. XML would be great so as to allow you to modify in a text editor if desired. Here's how I envision it:

Import/Export Lookups dialog
radio buttons to select Import or Export
checkboxes for each lookup (country, dive site, buddy, etc) with a master checkbox to select/deselect all
Import option checkbox to Update Existing Items (you may have customized some items, never change the record Id)

Not sure where to put it but some ability to Remove Unreferenced Items for cleanup (never remove referenced items).

The biggest issue for me is dive sites. In my experience, there is almost never any of the needed dive sites in the community map. Every trip I take is a tedious process of picking approximate points on the map, adding new dive site here, then entering all the known details of the site.