Bluetooth and ios

Discussions about the smartphone versions
shortcuts

Bluetooth and ios

Post by shortcuts »

Hi,
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Suunto EON or EON Steel dive computer and have a question. Is it possible to import new dives to Diving Log on my iPad Pro and iPhone 6s from the EON/EON Steel via Bluetooth? I will be traveling for four months including liveaboard and shore diving and will want to download dives from the dive computer before I return home to my desktop PC. If it is possible can you please point me in the direction of a tutorial or instructions. If it isn't possible at the moment is it likely to happen in the near future?
gregm

Re: Bluetooth and ios

Post by gregm »

Hi,

We do not yet have access to the information required to support the EON Steel via Bluetooth directly on iOS. We do hope/plan to support it in the future but I do not have a time line for when that will happen (it is dependent on our ability to get our hands on an EON Steel and our ability to reverse engineer it’s Bluetooth protocol). We are relatively confident about our ability to eventually add EON Steel support but I would not feel comfortable making a commitment that might impact your trip. We do support the EON Steel via USB on our Mac products so once we understand the Bluetooth protocol employed by the EON Steel the path to a working download is reasonably short but until we have access to a device we can not make progress on the Bluetooth part of the equation.

One option might be to consider some dive computers that are already supported via Bluetooth by Dive Log on iOS. The Shearwater computers (Petrel 2, Perdix and Perdix AI) as well as the OSTC computers (OSTC Sport, OSTC 2, 3 and 4) all work directly via Bluetooth. There are also a number of computers (from Suunto, Oceanic, Mares , etc. — but not the EON Steel unfortunately) that are supported via the DCbuddy Bluetooth accessory (www.divenav.com/dcbuddy).

Finally, we are currently working on adding support for the Scubapro Galileo G2 via Bluetooth. I do not have a firm date when this device will be supported, but depending on your schedule, that might be an option too. If you want to consider a G2 I’d recommend contacting our support email address (support ‘at’ moremobilesoftware ‘dot’ com) directly so that we can look at early access options via our Beta program.

Sorry that we can’t directly address your needs at this time.

Cheers,

Greg
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately my trip starts in second week of December 2017 so you won't have EON support by then. I shall have a closer look at the other dive computers you mention but I had pretty much settled on buying the EON Steel.
gregm

Post by gregm »

I certainly understand.

One thing to consider (which might not work for your trip) is using the feature of Dive Log and Diving Log 6.0 that allows you to record your dives on your iPhone/iPad during your trip and then when you get home import your EON Steel in such a way that your computer data is “added” to the existing dives entered on your iPhone/iPad.

The basic strategy is to enter each dive’s non-dive computer details (location, buddy, signature, weather conditions, etc.) on the iPhone/iPad each day. You don’t need accurate information on date/time, but it is good to put in something that will help keep track of which dive is which (Dive Log will put the current date/time as the default when you manually create a dive). Of course, you dive with your computer each day. Then when you get back to your PC, you sync your iPhone/iPad to Diving Log 6.0 before you download your computer. Then when you download your computer you pick the option in Diving Log 6.0 to import the dives downloaded as additional information to the existing dives (you’ll see this option on the last screen of the download dialogs before you actually initiate the download). Diving Log 6.0 will then add the dive computer’s data to each iPhone/iPad dive in turn. You can then sync the logbook back to the iPhone/iPad so you have a complete record in each place.

This strategy does require that your dive computer can log enough dives/hours to cover your whole trip. However, this might be a strategy to allow you to get through this trip until we can (hopefully) get EON Steel support added to Dive Log. In any case, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the option in case it helped.

If you do get the EON Steel, please let us know and we’ll be sure to keep you updated on any progress we make on supporting it in Dive Log on iOS (again, just send email to our support email address).

Cheers,

Greg
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Thanks again for getting back to me. Although I think I prefer the look of the EON Steel, particularly the screen display, I'm also now having a closer look at the Shearwater Perdix AI. Either way I need to upgrade my old Suunto Vyper which is long in the tooth now and, apart from other considerations, my ageing eyes need all the modern help I can get :D
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Having done more research I have purchased and await delivery of a Shearwater Perdix AI. I will now be able to download my dives via BT straight to my iPad and iPhone and sync to my PC when I return home.
Thank you for your help.
peterhernaman

Post by peterhernaman »

I have the Perdix AI with the latest software upgrade.
How do I record my dive and transfer data to Dive Log on my iPhone?
I I have looke long and hard at the app and even purchased the software from the store but still cannot see a way to import the data via Bluetooth.
gregm

Post by gregm »

In order to Download your Perdix AI into Dive Log on iOS you will need to visit the "Downloads" item (it is a tab under "..." on the iPhone by default and is available from the sidebar of Dive Log on iPad). You will then need to visit the "Store" interface (the button in the upper right hand corner if you are not taken their automatically) and make the in-app purchase for the "Shearwater Download" item. Once that purchase has been made you can enable upload on your Perdix AI and your Perdix AI will show up on the Downloads screen in Dive Log. Then simply tap on that item and once the "Download" button on the next screen appears tap it. Dive Log will then download a list of available dives on your Perdix AI and you can pick the dives you want to import into your logbook.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to contact the Dive Log support team directly (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) if you have any difficulties.

Cheers,

Greg
More Mobile Software
Tobias31

Post by Tobias31 »

Hallo,

has anything changed regarding that topic?

I am thinking about buying the Suunto Eon Core and of course I would like to add all the relevant information via Bluetooth to my Ipad (donˋt have a Mac, no PC... so Suunto DM5 no option I reckon).
At least that was what I was thinking till today. Ipad / Iphone + Suunto core and then tracking my dives easily in one app,
Adding 1 or 2 pics when I have some...

So is it correct that I can forget that? I would either have to get the data to DM5 on a PC and THEN I could sync that somehow with diving log (or Diving Log on PC can import Data from the Suunto already???)?

Or I add the dives manually and again manually add the information from my Suunto after my holidays to my app on the Ipad?

But would I then for example see the graph of my diving profile? Guess not... Sorry , I am not that much of an IT guy and was naive enough to believe itˋs just buying, Bluetooth and boom :cry:

Would be great if someone could help...

Kind regards,

Tobias
gregm

Post by gregm »

Hi Tobias,

Yes, things have changed. Dive Log now supports direct download of the Suunto EON Core and Suunto EON Steel via Bluetooth on iOS. There is a different (from the Shearwater one mentioned above) in-app purchase you would make in the app to enable downloading of the EON family of devices (called: Suunto EON Download"). Once you have that purchased simply make sure that your EON Core is not in "Airplane Mode" and is not currently paired with a different device (the EON Core can only be paired with one device at a time ... you can use the General->Connectivity->Forget Device to undo an existing pairing) and bring it near the iPhone/iPad and it will appear in the Downloads tab list of device. Then simply tap on it and proceed with the pairing that is presented and tap the "Download" button when it becomes enabled.

Just to be 100% clear. At this point Dive Log does not allow you to add photos on a per dive basis yet (you can add photos to dive sites, cities, countries and other items). You can still add photos in Diving Log 6.0 on the PC and their information will be maintained during syncs with Dive Log (so you'll still be able to see them onto PC). We do plan to add this feature in the future, but it is not currently available.

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us at our support email address (support 'at' moremobilesoftware 'dot' com) for questions specifically about Dive Log on iOS.

Cheers,

Greg
Tobias31

Post by Tobias31 »

Thank you so much!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Greg. I just got maybe the last Eon Steel on the market. hehe Finally was able to justify the cost.

Is pairing the app the same as pairing to a tank pod? If so, you said:

"""and is not currently paired with a different device (the EON Core can only be paired with one device at a time"""

Does this mean I have to "forget" the tank pod every time I want to download data to the app?

Thanks, Paul
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Paul

No, you do not have to unpair the tank pod to download data. It's just that you cannot connect the EON Steel via Bluetooth to more than one device (phone or PC).

Kind regards,
Sven
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Got it. Thank you
gregm

Post by gregm »

Hi Paul,

It sounds like you are all set ... but just to be 100% clear, the only time you need to tell the EON to forget anything in order to download it is if you previously download it via Bluetooth on say your iPad and you now what to download it using your iPhone. In that case you need to "clear" the previous association that the EON had to the iPad by using the:

General->Connectivity->Forget Device

menu option on the EON. Then you can download it with your iPhone. If you wanted to switch back to your iPad again you would be need to use the menu option on the EON again to clear the association with the iPhone. However each time you download to the same device there is nothing special that you need to do.

Cheers,

Greg