diving log slow after W10 creators update

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Cerianthus

diving log slow after W10 creators update

Post by Cerianthus »

Hi,

is there something amiss in the combination between the W10 update and diving log. On my reasonably fast computer diving log takes minutes to load.

Gerard
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: diving log slow after W10 creators update

Post by divinglog »

Hi Gerard

For me it runs normally on the creators update. If it was caused by the creators update, Microsoft will hopefully fix in the near future. There is not much I can do from my side.

Things you could check:

- Make sure the logbook file is stored locally and not on a network drive
- Try to create a new, empty logbook to see if it starts up faster
- Make sure no security software is blocking Diving Log (try to disable or whitelist the application)
- Try to uninstall and reinstall the full setup
Cerianthus

Post by Cerianthus »

Thanks

I understand it would not be your fault, but maybe a new version trips some specific settings that divinglog uses? I am also using avast which can be a problem according to forum searches but I did whitelist. I'll try your steps after copying my lay out files etc.
Cerianthus

Post by Cerianthus »

Reinstall did help, but it is back slow when i used my layout.

I edited the duiklog dutch .lay file that was on the website, and even though I only put in an extra tab, changed a field and moved it around a bit I noticed that the file went from 587 kb to 1728 kb. could that be a problem (although, still, it is a quick processor with 16 GB RAM)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Please send me the layout file and I'll have a look. Deleting and adding fields could blow up these files quite a lot.
Cerianthus

Post by Cerianthus »

Tx for slimming down the file. That was the problem
tmon

Post by tmon »

I'm running into the same issue, and can see that my layout file has sudden grown quite large -- probably from all the tinkering I did on my last dive trip in May. What's the secret to 'slimming down' the XML?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

First make a backup copy of your layout file (*.lay). Then open it in Notepad or any other text editor. Search for "<AvailableItems>" and delete everything between "<AvailableItems>" and "</AvailableItems>". This list can grow quite a bit for some reason. Keep the AvailableItems tags, just delete everything in between:

Image1.png
Image1.png (13.75 KiB) Viewed 11859 times
tmon

Post by tmon »

Thanks, that was very easy to do. For whatever reason, I had over 26,000 lines between <AvailableItems> and </Available Items>. I don't think I tinkered with the layout quite that much. :D