iPhone: Location information and Buddies not showing up

Discussions about the smartphone versions
ckb9585

iPhone: Location information and Buddies not showing up

Post by ckb9585 »

I have synced my iPhone with the Dive Log 4.0 on my computer. On my iphone, my location and Buddy info is included with each dive. However, when I click the Buddies and Location information at the bottom of the screen, it comes up empty. Also, when I click the Buddies and Location information in the Statistics it also comes up empty.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: iPhone: Location information and Buddies not showing up

Post by divinglog »

Hi

In this posting Greg explained the reason of this behaviour and how to get the items displayed (starting in the middle of the post with "Here is a little background on why the above suggestion...")

In the German forum someone posted also a few SQL commands for experienced users. You need to execute these queries in MS Access and they will automatically create these linked entries. I will add this feature a little bit more user friendly in Diving Log 5.0, so you should execute these commands (one line at the time) only if you know what you do and after creating a backup of your database:

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO country (country) SELECT DISTINCT country FROM logbook;
INSERT INTO city (city) SELECT DISTINCT city FROM logbook;
INSERT INTO place (place) SELECT DISTINCT place FROM logbook;
UPDATE Logbook INNER JOIN Country ON logbook.country=country.country SET logbook.countryID = country.id;
UPDATE Logbook INNER JOIN City ON logbook.city=city.city SET logbook.cityID = city.id;
UPDATE Logbook INNER JOIN Place ON logbook.place=Place.place SET logbook.placeID = place.id;
[/size]
Best regards,
Sven
ckb9585

Post by ckb9585 »

Thanks for the response, but I do not think this is addressing my problem. I always enter all my dive information into Dive Log 4.0 on my laptop. I never enter any information directly into the iPhone. So my sync is always 1 way (from the Laptop to the iPhone). So while the relationships between Country/City/Site exists on the Laptop, they do not exist on the iPhone. I did check the Country/City/Site IDs on the Laptop and they are all blank so I assume it is using the "string" information to display those relationships on the Laptop.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

When you use only the string relations it is normal that they are not displayed on the iPhone. The iPhone Dive Log displays for performance reasons only linked items in the statistics and location tabs. So if you want them to be displayed on the iPhone you must convert them to linked items.

The SQL commands I've posted will automatically fill the IDs (which are currently empty in your logbook) and create these linked items. If you want you can email me your desktop logbook file and I execute these commands for you. The next time you sync this file to the iPhone the entries will show up. In future you would need to link each entry manually in order to display them on the iPhone.
goingdutch

Post by goingdutch »

I've been using my iPhone dive log 1.2 with Dive Log 5 on my laptop. I've had no problems with synchronizing, until now. I updated my laptop log yesterday, when I uploaded it to my iPhone. All my dive locations and buddies where mixed up and additional information was not correct. I cleared my iPhone log with a blank log and used an older log upload and they worked fine. Can you take a look at my log from the laptop and tell me if it is causing a problem with my iPhone? or could it be something else?