Iphone not syncing

Discussions about the smartphone versions
credus

Iphone not syncing

Post by credus »

Just install both the Iphone app version 1.1.3 and Diving log 4.0-379... Latest version of iTunes installed.

While attempting to sync for the first time. I get Sync Window as noted in your tutorial but nothing more from either my Iphone or Diveing Log 4.0. The two buttons, use new Logbook and Restore previous Logbook are never activated.

Application on iPhone says Server started Bonjour service published with name Clifford Redus's iPhone (169.254.109.146) on port 50478. I am not sure why this is using Bonjour as this is not installed. My iPhone is attached to a wiFi network.

Not getting to first base on this syncing.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Iphone not syncing

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Bonjour is installed together with iTunes and is necessary to automatically configure the connection. Make sure the Sync.exe program on the desktop is not blocked by a firewall. You can also try to connect manually by downloading this update. Extract it into the Diving Log program folder and follow these instructions to enter the IP and Port shown on the iPhone.

Make also sure the desktop and the iPhone are using the same subnet, which means that only the last IP block should differ.

Kind regards,
Sven
credus

Post by credus »

I down loaded the sync.exe application but this app crashes when I try to run. I then switched computers by installing diving log and iphone application on my laptop running vista os. Same problem. Also I get the same crash when I try to run sync.exe. When I run diving log 4.0 and hit the sync for iphone and then hit info, I do not see a Configure button. I went into the windows firewall and manually allowed Sync. Bonjour was already alowed. Still I get the same problem. Any more thoughts?
credus

Post by credus »

Is there a way to use a USB cable to directly sync?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

You must unzip the new sync.exe into the Diving Log program folder, it is not a standalone program, it's an update of the existing sync.exe. After unzipping run the sync from within Diving Log and you should see the config button. Syncing via USB is unfortunately not possible due to Apples restrictions.
credus

Post by credus »

I had unzipped the file but not moved it to the correct directory. I did this and I was able to get the Diving Log to enable both choices. As I had already started populating my dives into iPhone app, I selected Receive from iPhone. After about 20 seconds, I get "Network Error". I double checked the IP address and port enteries which are correct?

Any thoughts?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've just wrote Greg, maybe he has some additional ideas, in the meantime you can also check out Greg's FAQ. It is defenitely some strange networking issue.

Best regards,
Sven
gregm

Post by gregm »

Just a quick note for other readers of this thread.

It turns out that the issue was caused by a problem with the iPhone's WiFi connection to the router being unstable (it would go down during network operations). The user was able to adjust his network configuration so that the WiFi connection is now stable and syncing is working properly.

By way of background, Dive Log on iPhone monitors the status of the WiFi connection while you have the Synchronize tab open to make sure that the sync operations are possible. This is why the "Enable Sync" button is not available when there is no WiFi connection on the iPhone. This monitoring continues during an active sync operation as well, if the WiFi connection goes away during the sync operation, Dive Log will do an orderly shutdown of the sync operation. You can then reinitiate the connection when WiFi is again available. This helps ensure that no data is lost if the network connection is not stable for some reason (such is the joy of wireless networking!).

Cheers,

Greg