Unable to Sync with iPhone over adhoc Wifi

Discussions about the smartphone versions
samward

Unable to Sync with iPhone over adhoc Wifi

Post by samward »

Hi,

I have been testing out Diving Log and decided to try to sync it with Dive Log on the iPhone. I have the iphone connected to an adhoc Wifi network on my laptop. When I try to run the sync, the iPhone Sync app finds my iPhone and enable the two buttons, but when I try to "Receive from iPhone", it just sits there for a bit, and then throws an error. Looking at the information screen on the iphone app, it appears that sync app never manages to connect to the iphone.

The other thing I have noticed (which I think might be the cause of the problem) is that if I look at the info screen on the sync app, it lists the following:

iPhone Sync Analytics - 6/05/2009 3:03:25 PM

Diving Log Sync Version: 1.0.0.0
Windows Version: 5.1.2600.196608
Windows Name: Windows XP

iPhone Name: Sam’s iPhone
Sync Version:
Host Name: iPhone.local.
Local IP: 16.2.0.0
Port: 50179

dnssd.dll: 1.0.6.2
Ws2_32.dll: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)
ZeroconfService.dll: 0.5.0.4
System.Data.SQLite.dll: 1.0.49.0

The key being the ip address. The ip address assigned to the iphone is 169.254.111.111.

Any idea whether this would be preventing the sync, and why it would be successfully finding my iphone, but with the (apparently) wrong ip address??

Cheers
Sam
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Unable to Sync with iPhone over adhoc Wifi

Post by divinglog »

Hi Sam

Yes, the IP address seems to be the problem. I'll get the IP address and port number from the Apple Bonjour service after it is recognized with its device name. I'll just asked Greg, the iPhone Dive Log developer, maybe he has an idea.

Cheers,
Sven
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Sam

I just talked with Greg and it seems that the Bonjour service can return multiple IP addresses and I'm using the first one by default. Normally only a single IP address is returned, but in your case with the adhoc WiFi it seems that the iPhone has more addresses for some reason. I'll modify my sync tool to display a list of IPs if more than one is returned so you're able to select the right one. This should be quickly possible, I'll write you when you can download and try it.

Cheers,
Sven
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Sam

I've create a modified sync program which filters the available IP addresses better so that the invalid first address should be skipped. If there is still more than one address you should see a prompt to select the correct IP address. Please download this zip file and extract it into the Diving Log program folder: SynciPhone.zip

Let me know if this works.

Cheers,
Sven
samward

Post by samward »

Hi Sven,

The updated version worked like a charm. Thankyou for the quick response.

Cheers
Sam
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Sam

Thank you, I'm glad that it works now :)

Cheers
Sven