Error when trying to open Diving Log

Discussions about the smartphone versions
shortcuts

Error when trying to open Diving Log

Post by shortcuts »

Hi I appear to have a constant problem where I have to uninstall and reinstall Diving Log on my PPC EACH and EVERY time I attempt to access it.

I get the following error message every time:

The file'Divelog' cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted certificate, or one of it's components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file.

After reinstallation of the programme it opens fine, until the next time when I need to go through the entire rigmorale again.

I would appreciate some help to avoid this happening please. :|
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I never heard such a behaviour before, what Windows Mobile version do you have? Do you close Diving Log with "File > Exit" or with the cross in the upper right corner (Smart Minimize Button)?
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

I (think) I have WM5 and I close the application with both of those methods. Either way makes no difference to the result.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I've done a Google Search with your error message and got a lot of hits, maybe this will help you:

Security Prompt Bug Fix
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

So what your saying is the fault is nothing to do with your application?

I have downloaded it (via your link) and will have to see if I can do anything with it!

Thanks' for your time and trouble. Appreciate it.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

The problem seems to be a combination of a bug in Windows Mobile 5 and that my application is not digital signed. I think I've found now an option to sign it during compilation, so it should be no problem in future. But this is the first time someone reported this message.

To use the tool from above, extract the zip file and copy the contents to your Pocket PC. Then run on your PPC the program SetSecurity.exe and click on "Security Promt OFF".
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Done all that. Absolutely no difference!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

I just sent you a new program file where I tested the "digital sign" function, maybe this will work.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

No it doesn't!

Do you mean copy the file you sent me into the installation directory on the desktop PC?
I hope you do as I can't find anything on the PPC that looks remotely like the file you sent to me!
If it needs to overwrite a file on the PPC then I need some serious assistance!
It doesn't help of course that I am stupid! But that alone doesn't make me a bad person!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

No, extract the zip file (e.g. with Winzip or the Windows XP unzip function) and copy the included Divelog.exe file into the Diving Log folder of your Pocket PC. Don't copy it into the Desktop folder, otherwise the desktop version won't run anymore.

The Diving Log folder can be found at "Program Files\Diving Log 4.0"
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

In that case I have problems. I cannot find any reference to Diving Log on the PPC. Even though I reinstall,(add remove programmes in Active Sync) it starts, and then after closing down and turning off the PPC it will not open and it appears not to be there when I explore the PPC!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

That would explain the error message. I don't know how this can happen, but I don't think that this is caused by Diving Log. I think another software or Windows Mobile itself removes Diving Log after the first run, but I have no idea why and how to fix this. Maybe another user have an idea what causes this behaviour.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Well I have uninstalled and reinstalled (again) and nothing changes except I now get a further message saying:

"SK Diving Log 4.0 cab was successfully installed on your device. The programme you have installed may not display properly because it was designed for a previous version of windows mobile"

Now what? Any ideas? Please!
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

shortcuts wrote:Well I have uninstalled and reinstalled (again) and nothing changes except I now get a further message saying:

"SK Diving Log 4.0 cab was successfully installed on your device. The programme you have installed may not display properly because it was designed for a previous version of windows mobile"

Now what? Any ideas? Please!
Sorry forgot to add; And now it will not load whatever I do.

This is becoming incredibly frustrating as I REALLY want to use this application!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

OK, first please make sure that Diving Log is correctly installed. When you connect your Pocket PC and look in the Windows Explorer, you must see a folder "Diving Log 4.0" inside the "Program" folder like you see here in this Screenshot: Click here.

When you see this, Diving Log is at least installed and not missing as it seems in your previous posting. The message "...because it was designed for a previous version of windows mobile" can be ignored, this happen on a lot of programs and Diving Log runs without problems on Windows Mobile 5.

Have you installed the additional componets like .NET Compact Framework 2 and SQL Server CE? And then, please send me the "PPC Info" text you get when you click in the desktop version of Diving Log in the Sync dialog on the "PPC Info Button". Make sure your PPC is connected before clicking the button. Do you get any error message when you try to start Diving Log or just happens nothing?