Error when trying to open Diving Log

Discussions about the smartphone versions
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Yes the .NET Compact Framework 2 and SQL Server CE are installed (at least they show up in the add/remove programmes section of MS Sync).

When I look in windows explorer there is no sign of Diving Log at all although, having just reinstalled it, it is open on the PPC. Then I shut down the PPC, turn it back on again and,..............nothing.
So something is going very wrong and I am fully prepared to accept that it is likely my fault but I can't work out how!

Info from PPC:

PC Version: 4.0.8
PPC Version: 4.0.4

Device Name: WM_Morgan
Windows CE Version: 5.1.1702
Windows CE Name: Windows Mobile 5.0
Windows Version: 5.1.2600
Windows Name: Windows XP
Sync Setting: 1 = Allowed
.NET CF Version: 2.0.5238.0

ActiveSync: 4.2.4876.0
Windows Mobile Device Center: Not Found
Rapi.dll: 4.2.4876.0
PPCBrowser.ocx: 1.0.0.0
dplib.dll (AppPath): 1.4.210.45
dplib.dll (SystemPath): 1.4.210.45
RemSqlCe.dll: 1.45.1120.4
Sync DLLs Compatible

PC RemSqlCe.dll: 107008 Bytes
PPC RemSqlCe.dll: 107008 Bytes
Filesize Identical

SQL Server CE: 2.0.20301
SQL Server 2005 Mobile: Not Installed

divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you for the PPC Info text! I cannot find any problems, everything looks how it should be, so I'm really running out of ideas :cry:

If no one else has an idea, the only thing I know would be a hard reset, so that the complete device is resetted. But make sure to backup first all your data!

But I'll send you another email with an attached zip file. This zip file contains all the files from the Diving Log program folder. So you can extract the file and copy the contents back to your PPC program folder. If the "Diving Log 4.0" folder is missing, you have to create it. On more idea: Are you sure you installed Diving Log into the device memory and not onto a storage card? Then, of course, the folder "Diving Log 4.0" is on the card and not in the program folder.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Problems still.

I have carried out your instructions to the absolute letter including a hard reset prior to installing.
No change. The app will start right after removal and reinstall but after quitting the programme (via file>quit) and turning the PPC off and back on, the programme will still not start and I get the error message "Diving log 4.0 cannot be found........missing component....reinstall etc"

The folder, as instructed, is installed and I can see the folder (Diving Log 4.0) where I installed it (on the memory card) when I explore the PPC from ActiveSync.

I have to say this is beginning to drive me nuts!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Then I'm really out of ideas, I've never heard such a behaviour before, I'm really sorry! The only thing I can suggest is, that you install Diving Log not onto the storage card, but into the device memory. Especially the .NET Framework and the SQL Server CE could not be installed onto a storage card, if I remember right. Diving Log should work on a storage card, but it is not a bad idea to install it also into the device memory. If this doesn't work, I suggest I refund your order. I'll write you also an email with details about cancelling the order.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Hi
The continuing saga!

Just to let you know that since moving the app to the device memory as opposed the the storage card it seems to be behaving perfectly!!
Which is a shame because I would much prefer to have it on the storage card where the memory is expandable as the dive log becomes bulkier.
Never mind, so long as it works I can live with that.

No need to consider refunding the order just yet. Let's see how this goes for a while first, but thanks' for the offer. If it continues to work on the device then I can live with it not being on the card.

On a personal note I must say a big thank you to Sven for his time and boundless patience in working this thing through with/for me.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Ahh, I'm really happy that it works now 8) I'll make some more testing on the PPC regarding installing it on a storage card. But it should be no problem to have your logbook file on the storage card, this will work for sure. So if your logbook file becomes bigger it is no problem. Just select the storage card as location from the Sync Dialog in Diving Log and open it in the PPC version from the card.

I think the main problem are the Microsoft runtime files like SQL Server and .NET Compact Framework, they cannot be installed on a storage card. But I'll give it also some more testing with Diving Log itself.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Nice 1 Sven

I will keep an eye on how things go and bear in mind the advice re the log being on the card.

Please don't delete this topic as I may well have to refer to it for the advice about the log and storage card at a later date!!

Many many thanks'