DiveLog & DiveMate Sync thru Android

Discussions about the smartphone versions
wudwork

DiveLog & DiveMate Sync thru Android

Post by wudwork »

First off, the DL application on my Windows PC is amazing! I am now able to sync my Oceanic Pro Plus 3 directly into DL 6.0 and really do appreciate all the hard work in making this so simple to use.

Now my problem. I am traveling to dive sites and prefer not to bring laptop. I found DiveMate has ability to read directly from my Pro Plus 3 into my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone (and this does indeed work!). I also found DiveMate has ability to export that data into a format that DiveLog can injest. Thats the good part. I cannot figure out how to get just the latest dives out of Pro Plus 3 into my phone. I found some website help that mentions what files will import if they are in a specific folder (for DiveMate) but its very tricky.

Please consider:
1. adding to the DL import & export screens more verbose info as this process runs, or perhaps popup a window with LOG activity.
2. The difference between IMPORT and SYNC is confusing. Seems when you import, you have option to add "just last dives" but when you SYNC it does something else. Again the popup LOG window would reveal this. I cannot find how to import from the DiveMate export; the only option is to SYNC.
3. Beating same drum as #1, when I SYNC from DiveMate, it saves the data with a filename that it chooses. Trying to get that to SYNC is tricky as that filename is NOT what I use in Diving Log 6.0
4. Similar to #1, I would like verbose detail or a log to appear to show what happens when I click on SYNC from Dropbox. It would be very helpful if it indicated what dives it updated and perhaps more importantly what records were modified. I made changes to the desktop DivingLog and hit SYNC from dropbox and those changes were still there.

Please consider above and let us know, thanx, Tom
davidtaylor

Re: DiveLog & DiveMate Sync thru Android

Post by davidtaylor »

Similar problem, similar experiences: DL 1.5 (Build14) for Android, great app, great sync to desktop version via Dropbox. Only feature missing: cannot import new dives from Suunto, so would have to take laptop on liveaboards only for that reason, or use paper and do Suunto downlaoding on PC when back home.

Potential solution: use DiveMate to import new dives from dive computer, then export new dives from DM and import into DL -- from DL blog " In DiveMate, tap on “Tools > Backup & Sync > File export > DivingLog 5/6”. Then you can import the dives into Diving Log on Android or Windows."

[by the way, DM makes you pay £4.99 twice for this, once to be able to import from dive computer, once again for export to DL -- a bit sharp I thought. Sigh -- diving is a black hole for money.]

So after a lot of frustration and fiddling (I wish there were proper user instructions nowadays, we are supposed to learn by forever prodding buttons until something happens...) I am at this stage: unlike Tom/wudwork, I am able in fact to import just new dives from my Suunto Vyper Air into DM on my Android (onePlus3). THe new dives show on the DM log. From DM I do a DL export as quoted above from the DL blog. It finds the 2 new dives and says it has exported them.

But then I go to DL, and hit the + sign on the Dives page and say I want to Import from DM. But it goes 'Looking for new dives' and then says 'nothing new to import'. There are now X dives on DL and X+2 on DM.

Where do I go from here?
If I look at the phone's Android folders in Windows Explorer using a USB cable I see
internal storage/Diving Log / Divinglog / logbook.sql
internal storage/DivingMate / Divinglog / logbook.sql

And within DM settings there is an entry called 'External folder' which is set to /sdcard/Diving Log' (and could be altered)

But I do not know what is supposed to be happening - - is DM's External Folder supposed to overwrite DL's sql file? Seems incorrect because there is an 'Import' step in DL that implies that it looks for something external to import.

So I am at the same point as Tom/wudwork : I cannot find how to DL Import from the DiveMate Export.

Any help appreciated
David
davidtaylor

Post by davidtaylor »

Update for information:

Now it works. I didn't do anything other than try again a few days later. Perhaps I rebooted the phone, perhaps there was an update, I don't know. But now the process works: I Import from my dive computer to DM, then I Export from DM, then I go to DL and Import, and it works.

Nice that my problem is solved (but even better would be to know how it happened).
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

wudwork wrote:First off, the DL application on my Windows PC is amazing! I am now able to sync my Oceanic Pro Plus 3 directly into DL 6.0 and really do appreciate all the hard work in making this so simple to use.

Now my problem. I am traveling to dive sites and prefer not to bring laptop. I found DiveMate has ability to read directly from my Pro Plus 3 into my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone (and this does indeed work!). I also found DiveMate has ability to export that data into a format that DiveLog can injest. Thats the good part. I cannot figure out how to get just the latest dives out of Pro Plus 3 into my phone. I found some website help that mentions what files will import if they are in a specific folder (for DiveMate) but its very tricky.

Please consider:
1. adding to the DL import & export screens more verbose info as this process runs, or perhaps popup a window with LOG activity.
2. The difference between IMPORT and SYNC is confusing. Seems when you import, you have option to add "just last dives" but when you SYNC it does something else. Again the popup LOG window would reveal this. I cannot find how to import from the DiveMate export; the only option is to SYNC.
3. Beating same drum as #1, when I SYNC from DiveMate, it saves the data with a filename that it chooses. Trying to get that to SYNC is tricky as that filename is NOT what I use in Diving Log 6.0
4. Similar to #1, I would like verbose detail or a log to appear to show what happens when I click on SYNC from Dropbox. It would be very helpful if it indicated what dives it updated and perhaps more importantly what records were modified. I made changes to the desktop DivingLog and hit SYNC from dropbox and those changes were still there.

Please consider above and let us know, thanx, Tom
Hi Tom

Sorry for the late response and thank you for the feedback! Does your feedback mean the DiveMate app, the Diving Log Android app or the desktop application? I assume you mean the desktop application, but I just want to make sure. If you have feedback regarding the DiveMate app, please contact the DiveMate developer directly, as he propably won't read here in the forum.

Please note that you can import directly from DiveMate into the Diving Log Android app:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=2107

In the Dropbox sync dialog in the Android app, you can only upload and download. The "Sync" button in the upper right corner is actually a "Refresh" button, which reloads the logbook list. So for Dropbox, there is only upload and download, no sync.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you meant a different application.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

davidtaylor wrote:Update for information:

Now it works. I didn't do anything other than try again a few days later. Perhaps I rebooted the phone, perhaps there was an update, I don't know. But now the process works: I Import from my dive computer to DM, then I Export from DM, then I go to DL and Import, and it works.

Nice that my problem is solved (but even better would be to know how it happened).
Thank you David, I'm glad to hear it works now! Let me know if you have still problems or questions!