Divemate for Android functionality

Discussions about the smartphone versions
Grog

Divemate for Android functionality

Post by Grog »

I have recently switched back to Android after a long stint of using Windows Phone. I have been using Divemate with the data pack add-on. A few things I have noticed and not been able to figure out...

- signatures don't seem to be read from the PC file to the app. The app leaves a blank picture icon with a green plus sign to add a signature. I'm afraid to try syncing the database from the app to the PC for fear that it may wipe out the signatures that I currently have on the PC, so I haven't tested if the data transfers in that direction.
- A good bit of my diver information does not seem to sync over (most notably the C-cards, medications, and emergency contact info)

I have been syncing via dropbox using a Diving Log database and from my experience with the WP app, I know that all of this info does transfer over from the PC. While I'm confident that the database being exported to dropbox from the PC has all of the info in it, I am not so sure that the app is using it correctly.

My questions...
Has this info not importing been reported before and is it "normal"?
If I add dives that are started in the app, will importing the database file back into the PC wipe out the existing signatures and/or diver info?

BTW, your WP app was one of the main reasons I was dragging my feet in the switch back to Android. I haven't been able to find anything about it that I didn't like. You've done a great job with it. However, there were other apps that I required for my job that made the switch necessary (and I can't bring myself to carry around an iPhone). Any chance of trying to port that one over to Android? Any chance that those "bridges" that MS announced a while back might facilitate this? (I'm not a programmer, so I have no clue if that's even feasible)
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Divemate for Android functionality

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for the feedback! I know, the (divelog) app situation on Android is currently far from perfect. The biggest problem is, that all Android apps are using a different logbook format. Dive Mate has not the exact same logbook format, so there are things that can't be transferred from Diving Log to DiveMate. DiveMate stores signatures in a different way (as image), while Diving Log stores is like a vector graphic (stroke coordinates).

Syncing is done completely in DiveMate and I have no insights how it is implemented. I don't think you're losing data when you sync from the phone to the PC, but a backup is a good idea before you try that. In Diving Log, I store the full logbook file in SQLite format in the Dropbox. So if you have questions about the sync process, please contact the Android developer.

I wish I could easily port the Windows Phone app to Android. I've already tried a few things, but it was always a huge pain for me to get started on Android. The bridges are meant to convert from other platforms to Windows, so it's unfortunately the wrong direction. One possible solution for me would be Xamarin, but the pricing is too high at the moment. I have some hopes that Microsoft either buy them or that it will be possible to easily run Windows apps on Android.

Kind regards,
Sven
Grog

Post by Grog »

Hey Sven,

http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/02 ... ny-device/

Maybe this is a step to MS making the tools affordable (or free).
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Yes, that's definitely great news! :)
Grog

Post by Grog »

divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Psst, stay tuned... :wink:
IMG_4459.JPG
IMG_4459.JPG (37.63 KiB) Viewed 12777 times
Grog

Post by Grog »

If you need beta testers, let me know. Not a much of a programming guy (bit of FORTRAN in college and can muddle through Visual Basic in Excel sheets), but I can use an app. :lol:
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

The official Diving Log for Android app is now available on Google Play: :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... og.divelog