Google Maps

Discussions about the smartphone versions
Falkens

Google Maps

Post by Falkens »

I would like to have the opportunity to add a link to Goggle Maps.
It gives me a map to the dive site and can by using goggle maps to get there if I would be unsure of where it was ... or if I want to send the link to the other divers.
gregm

Re: Google Maps

Post by gregm »

Hi,

This is currently possible by adding GPS information to your Dive Site (in either Dive Log on iPhone or Diving Log 4.0/5.0). On the iPhone you can use the built in GPS hardware (on iPhone 3G and 3GS) or cell tower/WiFi triangulation (on iPod touch and the original iPhone) to automatically add this location or you can manually enter the value where location services are not available on the iPhone or within Diving Log 4.0/5.0. Once you have GPS information entered for a Dive Site you can tap the "coordinates" row in the Dive Site view on the iPhone to bring up Google Maps. Then just tap the "Directions" button at the bottom of the Maps application and the Dive Site will be filled in as the destination (note that if it is in the middle of the water Maps might not be able to provide driving directions :-). In Diving Log 4.0/5.0, there is a "show on map" link on the Dive Site window that lets you show your item in a map in your browser.

Note, that to enter GPS information for a Dive Site, you have to have created a Dive Site item (not just stored a string name fora Dive Site in the dive). This happens automatically when you enter a new Dive Site on the iPhone. In Diving Log 4.0/5.0 on the PC you need to tap the "chain link" icon above the Dive Site field when entering a dive to create a Dive Site item that can contain the extra information (like GPS coordinates).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg McLaughlin
www.moremobilesoftware.com