Sorting dive entries on iphone

Discussions about the smartphone versions
karmic

Sorting dive entries on iphone

Post by karmic »

Hi,

Is there anyway to sort logged dives on the iphone itself, without syncing to Dive Log 4.0 on the desktop (which I dont have)?

I started using Dive Log on my iphone to record my latest dives recently, and after finding some of my log books from 2-3yrs ago I started entering that information in as well, but this means I have new dives, old dives and then more new dives all mixed in without any order.

I found that I can manually update the dive number for each dive but I was hoping there might be an easier way to get it to sort based on date.

Thanks for making this app, its great!

Kyle
gregm

Re: Sorting dive entries on iphone

Post by gregm »

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your kind words about Dive Log on iPhone.

I'm sorry to report that I don't currently have a good answer for your situation. As you have discovered, Dive Log on iPhone sorts it's dives based on the dive number. I have always planned to add two features to the app that would help with your situation. The first is the ability to sort dives based on date and time rather than dive number. The second, an additional function that will allow you to renumber your dives based on some criteria (date/time and/or shifting all the dive numbers based on a new starting dive number) is what I think you are really looking for. I'll see what I can do about getting this feature added to an up coming release.

I don't know if this will help, but there are some characteristics of how Dive Log on iPhone works with dive numbers that might help a little. First, there is no problem having two dives with the same number. So as you add older dives you can change the dive number as you add them to their "correct" number even if it conflicts with a dive that you have already entered. Dive Log will display the dives in dive number order so the dives with the same number will be adjacent to each other. The other thing that you can do is have gaps in your dive numbers. So if you know for example that your next dive is really number #230 but the last dive in Dive Log is #110 you can just enter #230 when you enter the new dive. The next dive that you enter will automatically have the #231 filled in when you add it (you can always adjust that too). This way you can leave room for your older dives and enter them when it is convenient. I fully appreciate that this is not a "solution" but it might help keep things from getting worse until the renumber option is available.

Of course, as you mentioned, it is also possible to do the renumbering within Diving Log 4.0, but unless you have fewer than 10 dives in your logbook, you'd need to purchase the full version of the application to be able to move all your dives between the iPhone and the desktop. Let me know (send e-mail to "support AT moremobilesoftware DOT com" ... replace "AT" with "@" and "DOT" with "." and remove the spaces) if you are using a Mac or have access to one. It might be possible to do something a little more automated for you in this case that would not require purchasing and additional software in the short term.

Sorry that I don't have a better short term solutions for you.

Best Regards,

Greg
More Mobile Software
karmic

Post by karmic »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response. For now I think I will just leave things as-is, as it doesn't really affect anything major. I may be getting a new dive computer in a few months time so will look to get Dive Log 4.0 as well when that happens (my current Oceanic Veo 100Nx cant export dive profiles, hence my paper logs :) ).

Many thanks again for writing this app!

Kyle
Monk

Post by Monk »

Hi,

I was looking for some kind of solution for reassigning dive numbers. I had two dives which I entered by error and when I deleted them my dive counter was not updated. Now I'm in dive 100 althought I have 98.

The solution you offer here of editing dive number for the next two dives is for me fairly ok and enough, but I'd like to know if you've been able to make some pogress about this issue and if it's possible to fix it in a "cleaner" way.

Thanks very much. By the way the app is wonderful. My iphone died for a few days and the only thing that worried me was not having your divelog!

Cheers,
Ramon
gregm

Post by gregm »

Hi Ramon,

Unfortunately there is no change in the current capabilities of Dive Log on iPhone to be able to do a mass re-numbering of dives (although some recent underlying changes to the implementation remove some barriers that previously existing to adding this support). So for now, the best option for mass re-numbering is to do this on the desktop using Diving Log 5.0 and syncing the result back to the iPhone.

I will redouble my efforts to get this feature added in a near future update. I apologize for the delay.

Cheers,

Greg
mriksman

Post by mriksman »

Sorry for the 'bump' - but has this been implemented? Would love to be able to click a button and say 'Renumber by Date' like on the PC. I no longer have a PC so this feature is quite important.
gregm

Post by gregm »

Hi,

Sorry, there is no update on this feature yet (but thank you for the reminder, it is not often requested vs other features so it is easy for it to drop off the radar). If you have switched to a Mac for your desktop computer, you can still achieve bulk renumbering of dives using our Mac product (Dive Log DT - Mac App Store) which is also able to sync with Dive Log on iOS.

This is still on our list for Dive Log on iOS. Again, my apologies that it has not yet risen to the top of the list.

Cheers,

Greg