New Diving Log viewer to test...

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Today I've released an update of the Diving Log Viewer. It contains many bug fixes, the new dive profile display and some other improvements from the feedback here from the forum.

The dive profile and most of the secondary profiles are now displayed. The display of the secondary profiles may change in future as I have now a better idea than the current popup window method. The profile warnings are not yet included. The dive profile can be zoomed with the scroll wheel and dragged with the right mouse button.

The navigation buttons now work also in the dive list view, the round button can be used to switch to the dive list and with the next click back to the previous view.

The viewer will recognize changes made in Diving Log and will refresh automatically after a few seconds. If not, you can manually refresh from the menu.

The main window will remember it's size and position.

Further feedback is appreciated...

Edit: I've updated now the screenshots on the Diving Log Viewer Website
aplord

Post by aplord »

Great update, thanks Sven. Some suggestions for fine-tuning:

1. When single clicking a dive entry from the list, I would expect the item to become highlighted but not to go to the detail/comments screen. That way, I think it would operate more in line with other Win apps, and would allow those of us who like keyboards more than mice(!) to use the cursor keys to navigate up/down, as well as home/end keys. A double-click or enter key would then display the detail, and Escape would return to the list...

2. Grouping is great, thanks!

3. Search works well, but would be much more usable if it was possible to choose to search all fields not just a selected one, and for this to be the default. Maybe there are performance implications, but if not, I think this would really be a huge benefit in getting round the data quickly.

4. When displaying the dive profile, if I press the "^" button at the bottom left corner, then press the up-arrow at bottom centre to display the selection of available profiles, then press again the "^" button, I would expect the selection of available dive profiles to disappear. But it remains, and you can't then switch off the selection panel until you press "^" again. A very picky point I know... Sorry!

5. If I search on, say, a specific dive number, then display that dive by clicking on it, then from the detail screen I delete the search text, then press "<" or ">" to move to next/prev dive, I would expect it to respond in line with the search being removed (or changed for that matter) but it retains the list for the original search. Another picky one!

So, thanks again Sven for a great software update. Keep em coming! That reminds me... I have some more observations/suggestions on DL4 which I will post up soon.

Cheers

Alastair
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Alastair

Thank you for the feedback!
1. When single clicking a dive entry from the list, I would expect the item to become highlighted but not to go to the detail/comments screen.
Yes, I already thought about this behaviour. I'll take a look on this to see if it doesn't break existing functionality.
3. Search works well, but would be much more usable if it was possible to choose to search all fields not just a selected one, and for this to be the default.
I'll have to do some performance tests to see how fast this works.
4. When displaying the dive profile, if I press the "^" button at the bottom left corner, then press the up-arrow at bottom centre to display the selection of available profiles, then press again the "^" button, I would expect the selection of available dive profiles to disappear.
Yes, but the popup window will be removed anyway in future, as I plan to display the profile thumbnails side by side in the secondary profile area and when clicking on a thumb it zooms to full size in the sec. area. This way you can navigate through the logbook and have all profiles in view. At the moment the popup covers the depth profile when doing this.
5. If I search on, say, a specific dive number, then display that dive by clicking on it, then from the detail screen I delete the search text, then press "<" or ">" to move to next/prev dive, I would expect it to respond in line with the search being removed (or changed for that matter) but it retains the list for the original search.
OK, I'll take a look on this.

Thank you,
Sven
gjc999

Additional Request for the viewer

Post by gjc999 »

Nice update! Thanks for the bug fix to the tank size display. Can you get the pp02 secondary profile display into the viewer in the next update? That's the only other feature that I would like to see sooner rather than later.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Microsoft released the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 which has some performance improvements and other new features. I recommend that you update to SP1 so that future versions of the Diving Log Viewer can make use of the new features.