Eon Core

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
GHDave

Eon Core

Post by GHDave »

Has anyone tried downloading the new Suunto Eon Core computer into DL? The Core appears to be electronically identical to the Eon Steel, with the difference being the case. The Core does use a physically different cable, but my guess is that it is electronically the same - it has four pins but attaches magnetically to the back of the Core. Libdivecomputer mentions Suunto "Eon" only, without further specificity.

If nobody has tried downloading a Core I'll be the first, probably before 2018 arrives.
GHDave

Re: Eon Core

Post by GHDave »

Replying to Myself:

My new Eon Core arrived today. It went for a dive without me (on the end of a string in the pool). I'm sad to report that Divinglog / libdivecomputer won't download it. My speculation that it was electronically identical to an Eon Steel was wrong.

I hope that the Core gets included before my next dive trip, late next April! I'm contacting libdivecomputer to see if I can help get it supported. When that happens I guess I have wait till Divinglog incorporates that change too, unless there's a way to update libdivecomputer within Divinglog.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for testing this! You can update libdivecomputer independently from Diving Log by downloading the latest version from here into the Diving Log program folder (usually you only have to download the libdivecomputer-0.dll):

http://www.libdivecomputer.org/builds/divinglog/

Only if there are breaking changes in the API Diving Log has to be updated at the same time. You can try the latest version to see if the EON core works. But I guess the USB ID from the core is different and thus it has to be added to libdc. The communication protocol may still be similar. You can contact Jef Driesen from libdc and send him some diagnostics data.

Kind regards,
Sven
GHDave

Post by GHDave »

Hi Sven,

I contacted Jef at libdivecomputer and he told me the Core is already supported! I downloaded the .dll and copied it to the divinglog program files folder, as both you and he instructed, and it works fine. I didn't realize it was so easy - I probably should have been paying more attention.

I've sent a donation to Jef. It appears he does good work and we Diving Log users should help support it. I will also be working on getting him some sample data.

Dave
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Dave

Thank you, I'm glad to hear the EON Core works in the latest version! I will include the updated libdc in the next Diving Log update. Thank you also for supporting Jef and his libdivecomputer project with a donation!

Sven