Suggestions - Global Lookups

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
Romantic

Suggestions - Global Lookups

Post by Romantic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 15:50

I have 4 logbooks on my system (myself & 3 kids). I would love it if the lookup fields only had to be added to one logbook and then be available to all the other logbooks. Basically remove the lookup fields from the logbook file and put them in a global file.

Country
City
Dive Site
Buddy
Dive Master
Boat Name
etc....
Greg A Salyer

divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions - Global Lookups

Post by divinglog » Sun Aug 20, 2017 17:38

Hi Greg

The problem with this function is, when you move the logbook files to other locations, the links do not work anymore and the data is missing. I want to keep the logbook files self contained, so a logbook file can be easily moved and synced to other devices.

For example, when everyone of your family members has his own smartphone and you sync the logbook files to each phone, you need the detailed data on each phone. The app also would have to constantly query data from other databases, which would be a slowdown and also removes the possiblity of advanced database queries.

Kind regards,
Sven

reefhound

Post by reefhound » Sat Sep 02, 2017 15:17

How about just the ability to Export and Import these lookups manually from an XML file? This would solve his root problem which is having to create data 4 times. He could create his lists, export to xml, then import into his other logbooks.

It would also allow people to share community-sourced lookup data like "Dive Sites of the Red Sea" or "Dive Shops in Cozumel".

divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog » Sun Sep 03, 2017 16:53

You can use the "Diving Log" import function to transfer data from one logbook to another, which works for "family" scenarios. For community scenarios, a XML file with just the public shared data would be better, of course.