Some sugestions for improvments

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
erognlid

Some sugestions for improvments

Post by erognlid »

First of all - thanks for this program. Its excellent for logging dives. However as all excellent software every user things differently and some might like one way of doing things and other some ting else. I have a few suggestions.

1. Relationships between Country, City and divesite
- in the details sections for a dive site, there should be an option for selecting city
- in the details for city there should be an option for selecting country
This way you could make a relationship between them if you like.

2. Maps for divesite.
- Would it be possible to open a map from Diving Log eg. Google map and then click on a spot to get the lat/long in stead of entering the information?

3. Dive site details
In the dive site details you can enter things like wather and altitude - why is that not entered automatically in the log when you select a divesite?
Granted - there could be dive site that change between salt and brackish weather depending on time of year, but then you could just change that when the situation applies (brackish is by the way not an option, but I have never missed it)

4. Rep.dive field
- The program should be able to understand it self it its a repetitive dive or not based on the surface interval.
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Some sugestions for improvments

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad you like Diving Log! If you want, you can try also Diving Log 6.0 Beta.
erognlid wrote:1. Relationships between Country, City and divesite
Yes, this has been suggested already a few times, and I'm looking into the best way to implement this. It should be easy to use, still optional and offer some value. When you select in the current version a dive site, Diving Log will fill out Country and City automatically based on the last dive where you've used this dive site.
erognlid wrote:2. Maps for divesite.
This is already possible. You can tag a dive site in the map window (right click on a location). To view a dive site on Google Maps, just click the Google Icon behind the coordinates panel. Read more here:

https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=990
https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=1297
https://www.divinglog.de/blog/wp-content ... Place1.png
erognlid wrote:3. Dive site details
Yes, this is something I want to implement for some time. The dive site details didn't contain this information in older versions of Diving Log, later on I added them and now this is kind of duplicate data.
erognlid wrote:4. Rep.dive field
This will be automatically updated (also Surface Interval) in version 6.0 when using the univeral downloader. But this is a little bit of guessing, because normally you need the desaturation data to really know if this is a repetitive dive. Diving Log 6.0 will import dives as repetitive dives, when the surface interval is less than 36 hours, which should be correct in most cases.
erognlid

Post by erognlid »

Thanks for the reply. Ill check out the beta release :-)

Regarding divesite.

I might have been bad at explaining myself. I'm partly aware that I could click on the map ikon and from there rightclick on the map to create a divesite. I how ever tought that this only created the flag on the map - I did not see the connection to Dive Site Details since it was only a name field popping up.

For me this was a reverse way of doing things - and as stated priviusly - every user has their own preferences. I would enter the details and then select the positions from a map. So I would typically be in the Dive Site Details window - trying to click on the google map ikon - witch do nothing if there is no lat/long entered. Or click on the map page witch is just a blank page.

But starting from the map is an equally good way of doing it - at least if you are imputing just one site. I would however suggest that instead of bringing up just the small Dive Site Name box rightclicking and selecting add new dives site should bring up the "Dive Site Details" dialog.

I expect this program to be a hobby project of yours, and since the program cost next to nothing - all users should be happy with what you make and smile and nod if you do not agree with a suggestion or say - that's a great suggestion, but I will have to wait until later.

So thanks again for an excellent program - its almost as fun using it as the dive itself :mrgreen: And I'm looking forward to testing V6

Regards

Edvard
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Each dive flag in the map is representing a dive site from the details window (only those with coordinates). You can first add all dives sites and add them later to the map (right click in the map > set existing dive site here). But I think I'll also include a map view directly in the dive site dialog in a separate tab. Thank you for the suggestion!

Kind regards,
Sven