equipment import

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
scott

equipment import

Post by scott »

Hi Sven,

I spent alot of time entering all my diving equipment into diving log manually (serial numbers, type etc etc) i'd like to have a drop-down menu i can use when selecting the type of equipment used in a dive, similar to when i pick exposure protection (I.E. drysuit, semi dry, shortie etc) but to be more specific, like, which regs i used on a dive, what semi-dry/dry suit i chose to use, what fins i used, what snorkel i had, what BCD etc etc, and if these were able to be graphed, that would be awesome! (so i can see how much use i give each piece of gear).

just a thought, keep up the GREAT work, i dont know where i would be without it!
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Scott

Yes this is planned. I think it will be like the dive type selection, would that be OK?
scott

Post by scott »

where-ever you would like to put it would be fine with me, it would make a really use-ful accessory, but where ever is easier for you :D
lappen

Post by lappen »

divinglog wrote:Hi Scott

Yes this is planned. I think it will be like the dive type selection, would that be OK?
As long as it's easy to use, if I have a large list of dive gear a really handy option would be 'user defined selections'.

"my open water gear = dry suit, harness, wing, 2x12x232
my open water gear at night = the same as above + a light source
my wreck diving gear = the same as night diver + reels
my pool diving gear = wet suit, harness, wing, 2x6x232"

And if I decide to change anything in my gear or update it it should reflect in the log so the gear is updated automaticly.

An east way to do that would be something like an equipmed id field 'eid' that the defined selection uses to find the correct gear.
olafkn

Automatic update when something is changed in the equip list

Post by olafkn »

I don't think that it's useful that there would be a change in the former dive equip list if you change the actual equip. so if as in your examp. you use standard gear with regulator 1 and after 2 years of succesfull diving you buy a new regulator for your standard gear. you surely don't want that this new regulator is listened to all former dives. or do you?
greets Olaf
lappen

Re: Automatic update when something is changed in the equip

Post by lappen »

olafkn wrote:I don't think that it's useful that there would be a change in the former dive equip list if you change the actual equip. so if as in your examp. you use standard gear with regulator 1 and after 2 years of succesfull diving you buy a new regulator for your standard gear. you surely don't want that this new regulator is listened to all former dives. or do you?
greets Olaf
good point, didn't think about that.
olafkn

equipment

Post by olafkn »

So perhaps a database structur like
Equipment, sort of Equipment, Date from, Date too, Sortfield
next table
Equipment usage (cold water divin f.e.)
Date from, Date too, Sortfield ,equip id from former table

greets Olaf