Shearwater Desktop Import - Not Ordered by Date

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
divezen

Shearwater Desktop Import - Not Ordered by Date

Post by divezen »

I have had a few Shearwater computers over the years, so invariably each one restarts dive numbering at 1. Depending upon the length of ownership, I have some in the hundreds of dives and some in the 50s.

Unfortunately when I import my Shearwater Desktop log file... it imports based on dive numbers, not dates. So I end up with 500 some dives that aren't anywhere close to being in chronological order (dives from 2015 right next to dives from 2011). Makes it very hard to find a particular dive by just scrolling (obviously search still works if you can be precise about date or location.)

Is there any way I can make Diving Log ignore dive number (since it's essentially an arbitrary number across various dive computers) and use date to order/number the dives?
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Shearwater Desktop Import - Not Ordered by Date

Post by divinglog »

Hi

You can renumber your dives afterwards by date/time. Use the "Sort Logbook" function in the menu File > Logbook Maintenance. Can you send me also your Shearwater logbook file so I can check my import function? It looks like I have to change the sorting of the dive selection list during import.

Dive numbers in Diving Log are your actual dive numbers, not based on dive computer. So you should renumber your dives to match your actual, overall dive numbers. You can do that with the "Sort logbook" function mentioned above or in the logbook table editor for just a range of dives (select the rows and right click to open the context menu), which is useful if you don't have all your dives electronically.
divezen

Re: Shearwater Desktop Import - Not Ordered by Date

Post by divezen »

This worked great; thanks so much!