Re name a logbook?

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
shortcuts

Re name a logbook?

Post by shortcuts »

At the moment the name of my logbook is a series of numbers (162643542423365.mdb). I want to add a logbook for my wife but to make it easier to differentiate the two I would like to change the logbook name from a series of numbers to our own names. So my question is, can this be done and if it it can how?
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Re name a logbook?

Post by divinglog »

The default file name is "Logbook.mdb", so I don't know where this number name came from. Anyways, it's a normal file, just rename it in Windows Explorer and open it again with Diving Log.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Sorted. Thank you very much.
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Actually I have another question on the same theme.
I cannot see a way to open a second logbook on the ipad app. Is it possible to have two logbooks on the same ipad? If so how do I achieve this?
If it isn't possible can I load my ipad app to a second ipad to sync the other logbook on that without having to buy the app again for the second ipad?
gregm

Post by gregm »

Hi,

I'm the author of Dive Log for iOS (including iPad). You can work with multiple logbooks on a single iPad if you like, or you can install Dive Log on a second iPad (you can install iOS apps on multiple devices under your control either by signing in with the same AppleID or by signing up for Apple's new Family Sharing capability) without additional charge.

To work with two logbooks on a single iPad you need to use Dive Log's multiple logbook feature found under settings (the gear icon in the lower corner of the sidebar). Simply tap the logbook name listed under the "Active Log" section (if that name says "Unknown Name" you can first add your name in the Personal section of the app and the name displayed here will be based on the name you enter) and then tap the "+" to add a new logbook. You can then switch to this new logbook by tapping it's name and return to this section of Settings to switch ball to the other logbook when you want to work with it again. Just be sure that you have the correct (i.e. matching) logbook active when you sync with Diving Log 5.0.

You can sync logbook between iPad sin multiple ways. You can use Wi-Fi syncing to your desktop app (Diving Log 5.0) from one iPad and then sync to the other iPad. The other option is to use the iCloud Synchronization facility in Dive Log (the sync icon in the lower part of the sidebar in Dive Log) to sync logbooks directly between iOS devices via iCloud. Both devices do need to be signed in with the same AppleID to iCloud for this to work.

Note that Apple has designed the iPad as a "personal device" and as such it is not really designed for multiple users. The "active logbook" model and the "multiple logbook support" in Dive Log is a way to work around this limitation without have user level access to the file system (like you do on a PC) or multiple users accounts per PC.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to follow up with any additional questions that you might have.

Cheers,

Greg
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Cheers Greg.
Much appreciated. I will give it a good look later. Off on a liveaboard next week and in this ever increasing world of weight limits for air travel it is becoming tedious to carry two huge logbook folders with us :cry: