Petrel BT import problems

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
scubal

Petrel BT import problems

Post by scubal »

I am trying to get the BT import from my Petrel (V1) to work on a Windows7 machine:

a) PC can import dives from Petrel through Shearwater desktop, so I know that Petrel and PC are talking to each other through bluetooth. (yes I know that uses sockets rather than serial)
b) PC detects Petrel and creates a Bluetooth device with two serial ports:
COM7 - Outgoing - Petrel "Serial Port"
COM9 - Incoming - Petrel

c) Neither of these Ports works when used within Divinglog using the downloader. Get a message:
INFO: Open: name=COM7
ERROR: Access is denied (5) [in serial_win32.c:152 (serial_open)]
ERROR: Failed to open the serial port. [in shearwater_common.c:46 (shearwater_common_open)]
libdivecomputer version: 0.5.0-devel

d) Has anyone ever managed to get downloader to work successfully with the Petrel serial ports? Right now I have to download from the Petrel to Shearwater desktop, and then import from there into Divinglog - which seems pretty dumb :(

Just to be clear this is a V1 Petrel - NOT the new one.
Al.
scubal

Re: Petrel BT import problems

Post by scubal »

For anyone else having the same problem after several hours I finally got it to work.
I am not quite sure how - but I *think* this is what happened :)

When the PC detects the bluetooth device it sets it up with ports etc. All looks and appears fine but nothing works :(
When it receives the first connection from that device the PC prompts for authorization - but it only seems to do this if the user is an admin? I wasnt logged in as an admin so never saw this prompt - so therefore couldnt 'allow' the new bluetooth device to connect.After a lot of playing I tried logged on as an admin and when the Petrel was discovered the PC prompted me for an 'authorisation code'. I put in '0000' - and hey presto after that DiveLog happily could download direct from the Petrel on Com7. Yippee.
Tried again as a non-admin user, cos thats what I run with, and download from Petrel still worked.
So seems it might only need that code first time it is 'discovered'?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you for the description, I'm sure other Petrel users will be glad!
RVbldr

Post by RVbldr »

I'm running into the same issue with the Petral 2. I see a COM4 port, as mentioned previous, I'm not getting a download. I've tried running DiveLog as admin, but that didn't seem to help.
RVbldr

Post by RVbldr »

Got it figured out. Running Petrel 2, connected via BT to Win 8.2 laptop. Under BT settings, it had assigned a COM4 for the Petrel, but was listed as INCOMING. Once I manually created a virtual COM3, OUTGOING port for the Petrel, it synched up nicely. No more Shearwater software transfers! :D
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you, great to hear that it worked!
Graggs

Post by Graggs »

Hi Guys,
I've found the Petrel 2 a bit lumpy no matter what it connects to, even Shearwater's own applications.

To get it working in Diving Log 6.0 W8
Download and install Shearwater's Desktop application - connect to the Petrel2 and check you can download a log - that should create a BT device, load driver etc.
Then, go to 'Devices and Printers' and check you have a device there called Petrel
Double click on it and go to the Services tab
Click the 'Serial port' check box - this will create a virtual com port which Diving Log 6 should recognise (you can further check this by going into Device Manager)
Apply that and close the dialogue box.

Start DL6 and select Downloader from the sidebar; select Shearwater and Petrel and hopefully it will show a com port?

On your dive computer, go to DIVE LOG... Upload Log... and select Upload to put the Pertrel2 into discover mode.
Go back to DL6 and select the 'Download' button - you should see the Petrel 2 communicating.

Worst case, you may need to do a good ol' shut down and restart

I hope it works?

Worth noting;
This brings in gas switch information - when I tried importing the logs from Shearwater desktop I only got a basic profile. Obviously, this route is much quicker and DL6 is substantially better than Shearwaters app.

It also creates the appropriate Cylinders / Tanks for each dive (nice work Sven), although I did a dive where I started on EANx50, stitched to 28 for bottom, then switched back to 50 for deco and DL6 created 3 cylinders (instead of 2) - not really the end of the world.
Attachments
Petrel Bluetooth Virtual com port dialogue
Petrel Bluetooth Virtual com port dialogue
Petrel2 BT Connection.png (60.85 KiB) Viewed 18152 times
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for the detailed description!
Graggs wrote:This brings in gas switch information - when I tried importing the logs from Shearwater desktop I only got a basic profile.
Please send me the Shearwater desktop file. Which data is missing, just the tank information? Normally the Shearwater import should also imports tanks and gas switches.
Graggs wrote:t also creates the appropriate Cylinders / Tanks for each dive (nice work Sven), although I did a dive where I started on EANx50, stitched to 28 for bottom, then switched back to 50 for deco and DL6 created 3 cylinders (instead of 2)
Should normally not happen. Have you configured 2 different EAN50 tanks in the dive computer? Or have you switched back to the same tank?
Graggs

Post by Graggs »

Just a note to say, that the above method seems to prevent the Petrel 2 connecting to Shearwater Desktop for Firmware Updates..... on my driver, you cannot simply 'un-tick' the virtual serial port.

so, hold tight while I try to resolve this problem
shortcuts

Post by shortcuts »

Graggs wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 Just a note to say, that the above method seems to prevent the Petrel 2 connecting to Shearwater Desktop for Firmware Updates..... on my driver, you cannot simply 'un-tick' the virtual serial port.

so, hold tight while I try to resolve this problem
Any update. I have a Perdix AI.