GPS Coordinates

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
garryfr

GPS Coordinates

Post by garryfr »

Hi,

I want to go back over past dive sites an add GPS coordinates. How do you do it? I'm running Version 5.0.12.

Regards

Garry
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: GPS Coordinates

Post by divinglog »

Hi Garry

If you have the GPS coordinates somewhere, you can simply go into the dive site details window and entering the coordinates (click the dropdown arrow to change the format). If you don't have them, you can use the maps window to search for dive sites in the online database and either add them to existing dives sites or import them as new sites.

If you have photos from the dive sites, which contain GPS information in their Exif data (e.g. from a smartphone), you can add the photo to the dive site details and Diving Log will extract the GPS information and add it to the site details

(click the links for more information)

Kind regards,
Sven
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

I used the trial version yesterday 5.013 and imported my DM4 Sunto file. Made certain I have less then 10 dives for the trial. Now I do have GPS tagged photos that I linked. However in the dive log it still has City, Country, etc all blank? How do I get the location to show? Or is it only in the full paid version able to extract the GPS coordinates?
I also downloaded the plug in and started it and it was able to extract the location but it runs as a separate window inside the main one. How do I get it to merge into my dive log? Would like to see it all work before purchase. Or are some features locked and only for the full purchased version available? Thank you. And thanks for all your great work. Wunderbar, Danke. :-)
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Thank you for trying Diving Log! The demo version has no functions locked (if there are no more than 10 dives), so everything should be working normally.

You have to add the GPS tagged photos to the dive site details window, not to a dive. That way the dive site gets the GPS coordinates. Then you can link a dive with that dive site. Click in the toolbar on the "Details" dropdown button. Then add a photo under the "Map" tab (please ignore the map label, it can be any photo):

You also do not need a separate plug-in anymore, the dive site tagging is now built into Diving Log. Click the "Map" button in the main toolbar to open the dive site map. Read here more about getting the GPS coordinates.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

thank you. Are you able to post how I get to the " Dive Site details Window" and how to add the photo there? I figured it out in the Dive Log. Sorry little lost here.
Dankeschön
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

From the main toolbar:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (37.78 KiB) Viewed 15027 times
From the logbook window:
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 15027 times
Open the "Map" tab and click "Open" to add a photo:
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 15027 times
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

perfect thank you. Will try later today and post back. Same I replied on Scubaforum. Will send you a gpx file from a dive.
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

ok, I am working on it now. So I was able to add my geo tagged photo as you said. Then linked it in my dive log. However the GPS coordinates are still blank in the dive site window Page 1.
And the Map function once I open it still does not show the dive location. All I get is still an empty map?
Shouldn't it place a dive flag on the map?
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Can you send me a photo with GPS coordinates (or attach it here in the forum)? Normally, when you add it to a dive site which has no coordinates, they will be filled in on the first page. But maybe something goes wrong when reading the exif data.
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

divinglog wrote:Can you send me a photo with GPS coordinates (or attach it here in the forum)? Normally, when you add it to a dive site which has no coordinates, they will be filled in on the first page. But maybe something goes wrong when reading the exif data.
here it is
taken off Bali
taken off Bali
20131211-PC110346 (Medium).jpg (111.34 KiB) Viewed 15020 times
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

I just tried a random photo I took with my phone which also logs GPS data. I took that jpg also processed through LR and then used it in the map function and it populated the data. Strange why the other file cannot be used that was taken with the camera and then later the exif data was updated with gps info.
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

Scubanomad wrote:I just tried a random photo I took with my phone which also logs GPS data. I took that jpg also processed through LR and then used it in the map function and it populated the data. Strange why the other file cannot be used that was taken with the camera and then later the exif data was updated with gps info.
I figured it out! It does NOT like the Altitude in the exif file. I removed the altitude in LR that came from my gpx file and only exported the photo with Long and Lat (Alt removed) to a jpg file. That worked and it populated the data as it should. Problem solved. :D
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Thank you, fixed the problem with the Altitude. The problem was that the altitude reference tag (above or below sea level) is missing in this image, which was expected by Diving Log. I fixed the problem and this tag is now optional and Diving Log reads GPS and altitude correctly.
Scubanomad

Post by Scubanomad »

Thank you. By "I fixed the problem and this tag is now optional and Diving Log reads GPS and altitude correctly." do you mean the SW download has been updated? Should I download a new copy or will it be incorporated with the next release aka update? Again thank you for your hard work.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

The update is now completed. Download this zip file and extract it into the Diving Log program folder and replace the old Divelog.exe (this is not an installer).

This update contains the fixed GPS exif extraction as well as a new GPX file import. Click the "Import" button in the dive site details window toolbar.