Saveas

Discussions about Diving Log 6.0 - questions and hints
bowlofpetunias

Saveas

Post by bowlofpetunias »

I was playing around with statistics ... looking at total dive time etc for certain sites i dive frequently.

I opened my log book, went into table and deleted a whole lot of dives at other sites that i wasnt interested in, saved the changes then saved the logbook as another filename.

I then opened my original logbook to see the dives had also been deleted from that. Fortunately i have the backup option set and had a backup :)

What i should have done was open the original saveas then delete.

Just wondering if it may be an idea to open a temporary version of the logbook instead of the original.

kudos to Sven for such a great program that is only getting better :D
divinglog
Site Admin

Re: Saveas

Post by divinglog »

Hi

Oh, this is definitely the category "Don't try this at home" :o I'm glad you had a backup! :)

Diving Log is using an Access database as logbook file. Changes to a database are immediate, that's why there is no general "File save" function as in Word, for example, when you close the application, because everything you did is already saved. When you delete anything it's gone, when you save anything it's saved. That's also why there is no "Undo" function, it would be technically very difficult.

When doing critical mass data manipulation in Diving Log I'm creating an automatic last minute backup in the same location as the logbook file with the extension *.bak. It's overwritten the next time you do anything critical. When you rename the extension to *.mdb you can open it with Diving Log.

Cheers,
Sven
bowlofpetunias

Re: Saveas

Post by bowlofpetunias »

:) thanks sven