Tissue Algorithm and Graphing Revisited

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
ScubaPete

Tissue Algorithm and Graphing Revisited

Post by ScubaPete »

Hello All,

I am new to the board, to the Diving Log app itself, and have of course discovered phpdivinglog and am already adding it to my site. Wow - good stuff, both the app and phpdivinglog - great job to all who have contributed.

I see there has been some talk about the tissue saturation data and how to integrate this, etc. I have a Mares Nemo and I see the Mares IRIS software has 11 fields of tissue data as well as a field called sample which contains some raw data.

If I understand the issue correctly, the problem is that 'sample' contains the raw data which is used to create the tissue saturation graphs in the IRIS software, but without the algorithm to use on this and and 'tissue_1' etc. fields we are not able to calculate values that could be then graphed.

I think the Mares software calculates the values and graphs them on the fly when you run the dive review / simulation in the IRIS software.

So, it appears what is needed is a math genius to figure this out, but then of course that would only apply to this particular computer.

A worthy opponent of a problem.

(If I have any of this wrong please let me know - I have just started cruising this board so I am still learning about Diving Log and phpdivinglog and getting familiar with it all.)

Despite the above barriers I wanted to see if any progress had been made on this. I (and I am sure many others) would love to have the tissue loading graphs part of the software.

I just wanted to also say how impressed I am with the software - it is really good. I think it is fantastic they included the myslq dump feature - and using the MySQL connector you can directly upload the data to your web server and you are done. Now that is slick.

I do wish I could get this to run under Wine in Linux - sure would love to run this on an EEE PC as the perfect travel / dive computer. VMware is a bit of a hog an an EEE PC. I don't suppose anyone has succeeded in getting it to run under Wine? I think it may just not be possible. . . sigh. That would be the icing on the cake for sure.

But what a great product and I love phpdivinglog - well done guys. Look forward to the wordpress plug in for sure!

Thanks,

Scuba Pete
James Connell

Post by James Connell »

The tissue load can be calculated based on the samples in the profile, But it likely would not match the graph made by the manufacturers software. Would that really matter? I myself would like to see a graph based on a known alogarithm with a known confidence factor.
The other thing it would do is make all computers equal. If you were to dive 2 different makes of computer an each one was graphed on that models software you would get different numbers. but a program using only sample data would give Very similar answers no matter what model computer was used. The only variation would be because of sample rate differences, some assumptions would be needed on long interval samples.

The calculations are straight forward enough. One question is - what decompression model should be used? Buehlmann (LH12/16C) is the simplest of the modern models, with public domain software being available. However, VPM is not that hard to implement. I have a VPM base program in debug now. RGBM is not impossible but would likely raise the cost of the logging software prohibitively as it requires a license to use.
JConn Inv.
Software Tools for Suunto Dive Computers
http://LiquidImagePhoto.com
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Pete

Welcome to the board and thank you for the nice introduction! :)

Regarding the Linux support: I've tried to get it working on Wine, but I fear that the current version will not run on it. The next version will be based on the .NET Framework, so maybe there is somewhere in the future a chance to run it on Mono. The mono team works hard on supporting Windows Forms, and I'll keep Linux in mind when porting the .NET version. Maybe for the meantime VirtualBox is a lighter solution as VMWare for the EEE PC.

Best regards,
Sven
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

divinglog wrote:Regarding the Linux support: I've tried to get it working on Wine, but I fear that the current version will not run on it. The next version will be based on the .NET Framework, so maybe there is somewhere in the future a chance to run it on Mono. The mono team works hard on supporting Windows Forms, and I'll keep Linux in mind when porting the .NET version. Maybe for the meantime VirtualBox is a lighter solution as VMWare for the EEE PC.
I tried divinglog with crossover (6.2) which runs word, excel and Iexplorer. However divinglog fails I only see the startup screen of divinglog and then it stops. I had to add couple of vbrun files befor e reaching this stage. Right know running with vmware and if you have 4gb ram and two fast hard disks you can work ok with vmware :)
Inferno

Post by Inferno »

James Connell wrote:The tissue load can be calculated based on the samples in the profile, But it likely would not match the graph made by the manufacturers software. Would that really matter? I myself would like to see a graph based on a known alogarithm with a known confidence factor.
The other thing it would do is make all computers equal. If you were to dive 2 different makes of computer an each one was graphed on that models software you would get different numbers. but a program using only sample data would give Very similar answers no matter what model computer was used. The only variation would be because of sample rate differences, some assumptions would be needed on long interval samples.
Totally agree on this one
The calculations are straight forward enough. One question is - what decompression model should be used? Buehlmann (LH12/16C) is the simplest of the modern models, with public domain software being available. However, VPM is not that hard to implement. I have a VPM base program in debug now. RGBM is not impossible but would likely raise the cost of the logging software prohibitively as it requires a license to use.
I think VPM is the way to go
http://www.decompression.org/maiken/VPM ... te_Map.htm
ScubaPete

Future .net Build of Diving Log

Post by ScubaPete »

divinglog wrote:Hi Pete

Welcome to the board and thank you for the nice introduction! :)

Regarding the Linux support: I've tried to get it working on Wine, but I fear that the current version will not run on it. The next version will be based on the .NET Framework, so maybe there is somewhere in the future a chance to run it on Mono. The mono team works hard on supporting Windows Forms, and I'll keep Linux in mind when porting the .NET version. Maybe for the meantime VirtualBox is a lighter solution as VMWare for the EEE PC.

Best regards,
Sven
Hey Sven,

I am really glad to hear that the next version will be .net based! Hopefully running it under mono will then be possible. It is so great having you guys look at this from a development stand point - I am happy to hear you will keep Linux in mind when porting it all to .net.

I fully understand than *nix users are going to be a very slight majority of your users base, but it sure is appreciated. The .net environment will certainly make it more cross platform friendly, especially with someone on the inside looking in that direction from the start of the port. I hope the future will see Diving Log run under Linux & Mono with relative ease. The EEE PC is the prefect travel dive computer and I would so love to show off your software on my scuba trips running on that tiny notebook. Perfect.

I also want to say HELL OF A GOOD JOB on integrating the MySQL dump using the MySQL connector - I absolutely love being able to directly connect to my server and update the tables directly from the application. No need to export it as something else, then upload and import it via PHPMyAdmin, blah blah blah. . . - just click and it's done. Very nice. I wish more applications took advantage of the MySQL tools.

Thanks for the Virtualbox suggestion, I was thinking the same. Still a lot of overheard, but might work okay. Did I mention I look forward to the .net / mono version? LO! :D

Thanks again - I am going to buy my copy this weekend (I just found this site and tried the demo) and start importing my logs and customizing it. I've got phpdivinglog installed server side and it's running nicely - now I just need to feed it . . .

Thanks again for such a great product man!

Cheers,

ScubaPete
ScubaPete

VPM Integration

Post by ScubaPete »

Hi Inferno and James,

I checked out the VPM site - looks great. I think your reasoning is right on track. It too bad the VPM is licensed under the GPL - but despite that it would still be great in integrate it into Diving Log. I wonder what the actual end cost impact would be for licensing - or perhaps allow it as a module and thus users could choose whether they wanted to pay the additional cost, etc.

ScubaPete
Inferno

Re: VPM Integration

Post by Inferno »

ScubaPete wrote:Hi Inferno and James,

I checked out the VPM site - looks great. I think your reasoning is right on track. It too bad the VPM is licensed under the GPL - but despite that it would still be great in integrate it into Diving Log. I wonder what the actual end cost impact would be for licensing - or perhaps allow it as a module and thus users could choose whether they wanted to pay the additional cost, etc.

ScubaPete
The GPL license isn't the bigest problem, since that doesn't mean it may not be a part of divinglog.

Porting the vpm code to php would probably a big thing, however never say no