Suunto downloader timing difference

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
MeRodent

Suunto downloader timing difference

Post by MeRodent »

I've got a couple of comments regarding some differences in how the suunto downloader and the universal downloader work.

I've noticed that the suunto downloader identifies my Vyper Air as a Vyper 3 whereas the universal downloader ID's it as a Vyper Air (though this could be because you set the computer type before the download).

Additionally the suunto downloader starts every dive 20 seconds later (I assume this would be different on a computer set to record a different interval) than the universal downloader (or for that fact SDM imports). The suunto downloader always has the first recording at 0m whereas the universal downloader sets it to the first recorded depth.
TnT

Re: Suunto downloader timing difference

Post by TnT »

MeRodent wrote:II've noticed that the suunto downloader identifies my Vyper Air as a Vyper 3 whereas the universal downloader ID's it as a Vyper Air (though this could be because you set the computer type before the download).
The universal downloader will autodetect the actual model. You just have to select a model from the same family to make sure it will use the correct communication protocol. For example the Vyper is in a different family than the Vyper air, but Vyper 3 is the same family. It might be that divinglog uses the name of the model you selected, but for the downloading itself it makes no difference.
MeRodent wrote:Additionally the suunto downloader starts every dive 20 seconds later (I assume this would be different on a computer set to record a different interval) than the universal downloader (or for that fact SDM imports). The suunto downloader always has the first recording at 0m whereas the universal downloader sets it to the first recorded depth.
This is simply due to a slightly different interpretation of the data. Since there is no official documentation on the data format, we have to make some assumptions here and there. Since different developers will make different assumptions, you'll also see small differences in the output.

You can read a long explanation here: http://www.divesoftware.org/libdc/sampling.html
libdivecomputer developer
Support the libdivecomputer project with a donation!
http://www.libdivecomputer.org/donate.html
MeRodent

Re: Suunto downloader timing difference

Post by MeRodent »

Thanks for that TnT.

Always good to see things are much more complex than they initially appear. :|