Download from dive computer

3rd party extensions (phpDivingLog, dive computer downloader,...)
samward

Download from dive computer

Post by samward »

Hi,

I was just wondering what (if any) 3rd party library you are using to support direct downloads from dive computers. The reason I ask is that at the moment I use a Genesis React Pro dive computer. While I can import the dive data from OceanLog, I would love to be able to download the DC directly into Diving Log.

I have started exploring the memory dump from my DC with an aim to write a decoder, but if there is a particular library you use then I will concentrate my efforts there.

Cheers
Sam
TnT

Re: Download from dive computer

Post by TnT »

For direct downloading, Diving Log is using the libdivecomputer library. We support many dive computers (Suunto, Uwatec, Oceanic, Mares, etc) in the libdivecomputer project, but at the moment Diving Log does not support all of them in it's GUI. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's on Sven's todo list.

I don't have any experience with the Genesis React Pro, but since you mention you are downloading with Oceanlog, I assume it's another Oceanic compatible device. That would mean downloading is already fully supported, with one of our atom2, veo250 or vtpro backends. Lots of the memory layout of these devices is already documented here. I also have a basic decoder in the libdivecomputer project, but it's still a work in progress.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Hi Sam

TnT is right, I'll add additional download support as soon as I have some time, currently I'm very busy with the version 5.0 release. There is also another .NET library available which supports Oceanic devices, which I may include.

Cheers,
Sven
samward

Post by samward »

Thanks for the info. At this stage (from what I can tell), neither DiveComputerLib or lbdivecomputer seems to support decoding the dumps from the Genesis React Pro (or any Mark 2 Pelagic computer for that matter).

Looks like i've got some work to do :-)

Cheers
Sam
AndyDragon

Post by AndyDragon »

Sam,

Do you have read/write access to the Dive Computer Library SVN? If not, pm me on the other site and I'll give you access...
Andrew Forget
PADI IDC Staff Instructor 212158
TnT

Post by TnT »

Adding a new decoder to libdivecomputer is easy. To start a veo250 decoder (which is our internal name for the type 2 pelagic compatible devices), you can probably reuse most of the code from the atom2 decoder. The hardest part is definitely finding out how and where the data is stored. Once you have that, writing the code shouldn't take much effort. The reason why there is no decoder yet, is that I don't have the documentation, nor the time to discover it myself.

If you want to try, contact me. I have developed some very useful tools that could help you.
divinglog
Site Admin

Post by divinglog »

Direct download is now available: https://www.divinglog.de/blog/?p=627
samward

Post by samward »

Thats excellent. Thank you.